• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot recovery issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amer1337

so my friend has a laptop with ubuntu and vista on it. we deleted the ubuntu partition to get rid of it and rebooted the machine, grub threw an error (expected) and we tried to boot into a vista disc to reinstall the bootloader so that windows can become bootable again.

the 1st disc i use was a sp1 disc and it said that it was the wrong version of vista and to try a diff one. any other disc i try loads the drivers or files but never actually booted into the gui, it stays at the vista loading bar and goes across indefinately. i even downloaded a vista recovery disc off microsoft to boot to and it does the same thing!

what can i do to get this bootloader reinstalled?

You'll probably need to boot to a Win98 or WinMe floppy or thumb drive that contains the FDISK tool, then perform a fdisk /mbr on the drive in question. You can also use the /FixMbr option from the System Recovery Options--> Command Prompt...

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Last edited:
DiskPatch

Yes, like redduc900 says, or you can try to use a program like "DiskPatch" for example to restore MBR chain.

Back