• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APB is shutting down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I remember correctly APB used a different PTP model that involved areas that were FTP the option to buy game time by the hour and the option for a normal style flat monthly fee. Could it have been these options that helped lead them to a quick demise?

I think so. Some of the threads on steam mention that the beta players warned the devs that the payment method was going to be a problem. I didn't think it would be a good payment method when I first heard about it.

I would expect....errr hope that in the end the company would have to refund anybody who purchased the game within say the last 15days or so (proved with accompanying reciept) along with anybody who purchases this game now from retailers too slow to get the coasters off of their shelves. obviously if you unknowingly buy it tomorrow you will have opened it before you learn it's defunct.

10-15days is gracious imho and anything past that it's pretty much the welcome to gambling on a mmo during it's infancy deal. you will always run that risk.

I would expect....errr hope that in the end the company would have to refund anybody who purchased the game within say the last 15days or so (proved with accompanying reciept) along with anybody who purchases this game now from retailers too slow to get the coasters off of their shelves. obviously if you unknowingly buy it tomorrow you will have opened it before you learn it's defunct.

10-15days is gracious imho and anything past that it's pretty much the welcome to gambling on a mmo during it's infancy deal. you will always run that risk.

Well the devs just said "return it to the retailer" and that is about it. Good luck returning open PC software to a retailer. What a rediculous thing to even suggest to people. Unless the devs have worked out some sort of deal, I don't even know why they bothered saying to take it back to the retailer.

I hope someone picks it up, i really enjoyed playing it with my 3 other friends, though i maxed out almost everything in the game, had 2 million in game cash, 20,000 rtw points, 320 rank, and over 350 hours of game time :X

Well the devs just said "return it to the retailer" and that is about it. Good luck returning open PC software to a retailer. What a rediculous thing to even suggest to people. Unless the devs have worked out some sort of deal, I don't even know why they bothered saying to take it back to the retailer.

Yeah that's pretty outrageous. They know the retailers definitely wont take it back.

This game was promising, but they didn't take it as far as they could've. I wish that when companies make MMO's and they reach EOL, they should keep it free to play like D&D and Warhammer did. At least people can still enjoy it.

On the free to play subject.. so long as a game is fun and updates regularly i have no qualms about paying money to play it. Servers cost money, they cant pull money out of their ***. Selling the game earns some revenue yes, but some CEO gets most of it after paying everyone who practically lived inside of a studio for the past however long development was. $15 a month is nothing when you consider the amount of time you can spend on any mmo. Most games for any console or even PC games wont have a fraction of the playtime to "beat" it and will cost you upwards of $50 at least.

Back