• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APB is shutting down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems like a lot of MMOs fail just a few months after launch. Star Trek, Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer, and now APB.. Risky business to get into, I guess.

Seems like a lot of MMOs fail just a few months after launch. Star Trek, Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer, and now APB.. Risky business to get into, I guess.

Out of that entire list though, APB is the only one that has actually "failed" in the sense that they're shutting the game down. ST, AoC, Aion, WAR, those are all still up and running. They may not have record breaking amounts of subscribers, but they still have online servers.

just game makers who who don't know how to make good game, and upper management who likely rushes it out the door.

Out of that entire list though, APB is the only one that has actually "failed" in the sense that they're shutting the game down. ST, AoC, Aion, WAR, those are all still up and running. They may not have record breaking amounts of subscribers, but they still have online servers.

So does Star Wars Galaxies, but you know what I mean :beer:

So does Star Wars Galaxies, but you know what I mean :beer:

I don't so please explain. No mmo developer expects to get as many subscribers as wow. Well maybe they do initially, but it's unlikely. So if that is your definition of failure then you have unrealistically high expectations for these games.

I don't so please explain. No mmo developer expects to get as many subscribers as wow. Well maybe they do initially, but it's unlikely. So if that is your definition of failure then you have unrealistically high expectations for these games.

Nothing to do with WoW. Just going by how much hype all those games got pre-launch and how fast they lost their early subscribers.

Every MMO has a ton of "hype" although most of it is generated by the fanboys. All those games you listed ( except APB obviously ) most likely are still generating money, or at least enough to keep them running a profit. I think Aion has the #2 MMO spot in the US. Compared to WoW the numbers are small, but it certainly seems to be a profitable game. Aion most certainly is not a failure. Warhammer is a fail, but not nearly as bad as AOC or STO. SWG actually did well for a good while until they changed stuff.

Honestly I think The Old Republic is going to take the #2 spot, I forsee the game doing well. Of course I might just be another fanboy spreading hype...

I barely even heard of APB though. I heard the name, no idea it was an MMO. This is worse then Tabula Rasa. I seriously cannot believe they abandon a project after 2 1/2 months that is horrible. I mean at least give it some time. Even if you have to cut off the entire staff and have the game running on one computer in someone's basement, to just have people buy a game and pay for 2 months just to quit suddenly, that is pretty bad. Could have gone with the barebones and just tried to milk the game for awhile.

An interesting update regarding this game!

http://kotaku.com/5640623/gears-of-war-studio-to-buy-failed-mmo

Just a rumour I guess, but still there is hope for this game. I never tried it initially but it did look interesting!

Yeah it's hard to make a successful shooter style mmo. They just don't have any replayability. Everyone does the same thing, there is hardly any story and progressing... well it's not like your standard mmo, you still click the attack button to shoot a gun, it never changes.

I'd be interested to see what happens if it is revived. Games like these i would pay the initial fee but i would never pay for a subscription. Hence why most others wouldn't either.

eems like a lot of MMOs fail just a few months after launch. Star Trek, Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer, and now APB.. Risky business to get into, I guess.

I dont know.. 16,000 people on an Aion server says thats more than enough people for me to kill =)

I will see if I can find my discs for the one MMO that I played that closed that WASNT Shadowbane (probably one of the Best PVP MMOs yet) but I do know that it was the sequel to another MMO which is still running.

If I remember correctly APB used a different PTP model that involved areas that were FTP the option to buy game time by the hour and the option for a normal style flat monthly fee. Could it have been these options that helped lead them to a quick demise?

Back