• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

I build a PC for a friend a couple of years ago using an Asus Z7S-WS motherboard. We installed 4 1TB drives and I created to RAID's using the Intel Matrix raid. A 500GB RAID 0 over the 4 drives for the OS and the rest as a RAID 5 for data.

Last week one of the drives failed so we got a replacement and put it in. I went into the RAID utility and we set the RAID 5 to re-build when the OS loads. I then deleted the RAID 0 as I wanted to replace it with a RAID 5 for the OS. However when I go to create a new RAID volume it wont let me select which disks or set the capacity. It will let me select the option of Create Volume but the volume size is 0GB.

Has anyone any ideas of what I can do to get this to work?

Hey :) TBH, I didn't even think you could have multiple RAID levels on the same set of disks. Had to cheat and do a bit of reading. ;)

Any-who, perhaps the support for this feature is only when you create both RAID arrays at the same time? If so, and yes this sucks, you might have to delete both arrays just to create the OS array.

Alternatively, you might try BartPE (with your RAID drivers added) and see if it'll let you run the Intel Matrix utility from there vs the one at boot time.

Good luck! :thup:

Well it looks like we're going to add another drive to install the OS on. Let the RAID 5 re-build and back up everything on the RAID 5. Then we're going to make the 4 drives into one big RAID 5 for his data so we won't have this issue if a drive fails in the future.

Back