• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to install Thermalright True

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iskatefast

Registered
So last night I took everthing apart to install my new Thermalright True rev.c and I found a little problem. I removed the stock cooler and the cpu seems to be glued to the cooler???? This is my first build , so I don't know if this is normal, but I have no clue how to get the stock cooler and the cpu apart..???

Is the computer pre built or did you build it yourself? When pulling it out, did it give you much resistance? If it did you might have damamgrd the socket by yanking it out.

they're not glued, that is thermal paste, it improves heat transfer (and you need some more to replace the stuff that's on there, metal doesn't mount to metal). You can get it off pretty easy with a rag and some isoproply (or any alcohol really, I've used an axe spray deodorant sampler before...just make sure it's rubbing alcohol, not ethyl). The stock stuff should come off if you just pull on it a little.

should looks something like this once you pull it off. http://www.leekaelin.co.uk/downloads/Forum Pics/TechSpot/Dell_vostro420_cpu_holes.JPG

Like has been said, it's the Thermal Interface material that is bonding the old heatsink to the processor. Give it a little side to side twisting motion and it should loosen up the grip it has on the proc. And ethyl alcohol will work to clean it too, but is a waste of good drinking alcohol.:rofl:

they're not glued, that is thermal paste, it improves heat transfer (and you need some more to replace the stuff that's on there, metal doesn't mount to metal). You can get it off pretty easy with a rag and some isoproply (or any alcohol really, I've used an axe spray deodorant sampler before...just make sure it's rubbing alcohol, not ethyl). The stock stuff should come off if you just pull on it a little.

should looks something like this once you pull it off. http://www.leekaelin.co.uk/downloads/Forum Pics/TechSpot/Dell_vostro420_cpu_holes.JPG

Wow I had no idea you could use axe to remove it. That's pretty nifty. I'm not to much of an amd expert so when I saw this thread it reminded me of a thread I saw where someone ripped an phenom2 out of the socket with the heatsink attached

Wow I had no idea you could use axe to remove it. That's pretty nifty. I'm not to much of an amd expert so when I saw this thread it reminded me of a thread I saw where someone ripped an phenom2 out of the socket with the heatsink attached

yea, I forgot to grab a fresh bottle of isopropyl and it was all I could find on hand...worked well enough that I used it again when I was helping out a friend who didn't have an isopropyl on hand

Every couple of months I order 15 of the arctic silver thermal paste remover kits in bulk. I love the way that stuff works. It also smells of oranges.

Thanks for all the replies...I new there was thermal paste, but I expexted the cpu to kinda slide off with a little pressure. I was afraid to apply too much pressure, I didn't want to damage the processor.
I'll try again tonight and reply back..

Thanks again!!

Bill

Last time I pulled an Athlon 64 out of the socket with the HSF, I just used a razor blade under the edge to pop it off.

like oreo says a stock cpu

"unlock the magic" Give a little twist

Little twist was all it took!!
Too bad the cooler is too big.......covers first to slots and enough of the third that I can't use more than one stick of the Flare.
So I need a new cooler. Specific suggestions for my board/men. Combo?

Have you tried offsetting the fan enough to clear the ram? If not, see how that will do. A little offset on the fan won't affect cooling significantly. Install the ram first, then install the fan above it. Alternatively, mount the fan on the other side of the heatsink in a "pull" configuration and see how that works.

Have you tried offsetting the fan enough to clear the ram? If not, see how that will do. A little offset on the fan won't affect cooling significantly. Install the ram first, then install the fan above it. Alternatively, mount the fan on the other side of the heatsink in a "pull" configuration and see how that works.

Maybe a picture will help...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 219
is that your sig rig? if not, just turn it 90deg...not sure if you can on amd tho

With the AM3 Rev. B mount (which he has from the pics), he should be able to turn it with no problem. iskatefast, turn the heatsink 90 degrees and mount it to where it blows towards the back of the case.

Is the "Front-to-Back" (exhausting out the rear of the case) airflow ALWAYS superior to "Bottom-to-Top" (exhausting out the top of the case) orientation with TRUE type tower coolers in cases that have top exhaust fans? Is there any scenario where "Bottom-to-Top" orientation would be preferred? I'm assuming it has something to do with Heatpipe orientation rather than airflow?

I've been meaning to compare on my systems, but I've gotten lazy :)

neither is really better per se, one might work better for some than others, but it's to do with the design of the heatsink in that the true is designed to be mounted like that and leave ram clearance, whereas now, he has none.

I've read some people "claimed" 5*C-8*C differences from orientation alone (front-to-back supposedly winning). I found that a bit odd - but haven't had time to test different orientations myself. If case airflow is good - then I'd assume the Heatpipes might work better in the "Front-to-Back" orientation (and also leave the RAM somewhat accessible if you remove the fan to get to it).

Time - where does it go? :(

:cool:

think it depends which way gets the most air running through it, whichever way that is will win...so for most people, the normal orientation is the best because of the exhaust fan most cases have positioned right behind the coolers.

Back