• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lamarmoore

When i leave my PC on for several minutes the screen goes black and i cant get it to open correctly. When i toggle the keyboard then the screen opens but it still is black background with stripped colors distorted. Is there a setting in CMOS or somewhere i can stop this
Thanks for any help

Windows 98 SE Plus
AMD 1800XP
Abit KR7A133 NO RAID
Maxtor 20GB 133ATA 7200RPM
512 MB Kingston Ram
Elsa Gladiac Ultra 64MB DDR GFORCE2
Hercules FortiSSimo2 sound card
Lian-Li USB60 PC Tower
Enermax 465 PS

Hey, Welcome to the forums!

Hit Start> Settings> Control Panel> Power Management.

Change settings to not turn off the monitor and such. It sounds like you have a nonstandard monitor that doesn't support suspend. (or doesn't do it properly)

You could also check the manufacturer's web site for new drivers and reinstall them. Remove your present monitor in hardware manager first. Rightclick on "my computer" icon, select properties.
Then hit the second tab at the top the new window.
Select display devices, then highlight your monitor, right click and select remove.
Then run the new drivers program.

Last edited:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
my monitor is an EIZO 17 in TXC7 made by NANAO mostly used for High End Cad/Drafting /Architect etc..yet is very good for Gaming and graphics are GREAT

Oh, I didn't mean non standard to sound like it was a cheap monitor, it just may not follow the standard for power management.
Really it sounds like quite a good one, I'd try hunting down the drivers first, and reinstalling them.

Sounds like you built your system yourself, and it seems like it kicks of a lot of heat.

Try running it with your sides off, to eliminate the possibility of a heat problem.

Thanks again im downloading latest drivers now.

Most people have never heard of Nanao mostly because they are not used much in the commerical market rather they are used in the Higher end of the professional market

they are a little pricey yet you pay for what ya get
buy cheap monitor u GET cheap monitor

Yes i got both sides off now LOL Legionare and they usually stay off most of the time

Thanks Again for all the advice

When you say "you leave your pc on"... Do you mean you leave it as not doing anything or anytime the computers on...

I had that problem awhile ago when I was OC my video card... Could the card be running hot?!?

Leaving it idle for around 15 minutes so i set the power management like diggrr advised and it resolved the problem
nothing is overclocked it is fast enough as is lol
Thanks

im new to overclockers forum yet glad i came
LOTS of helpful people around with good advice

:)

The Nano's/Eizo's are great monitors, and yes they are a bit pricey but, there are few manufacturers that can compare to the quality, image and features that these monitors offer.

I have an older NANO Flexscan F550i, the dual inputs on it are a plus.... can use the standard 15 pin D-Sub connector for one system, and use the BNC connectors for another...just a touch of a button and you can switch between 2 systems that have different resolutions, timings, etc...

right now its sitting on a table waiting for me to replace a small power transistor, it still works, but only when the temp in the room its in is fairly low (say about 50 deg. F.)

If your seeing screen corruption, first place to look would be video card, as the monitor only displays whatever its fed from the video card, heat probably is the culprit, or driver issue.

Back