• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thaman6

I have windows 7 64 bit and i have 12 gigs of ddr3 triple channel memory...is it ok to turn off the page file for faster performance? I also have a Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB Hard Drive For my c: and a 1tb for my d:

You won't notice a performance increase by disabling the paging file, add to the fact that certain programs rely on the paging file's existence. Just leave it on the WD, which I assume is the fastest of the two installed drives, and let Windows manage the size.

Last edited:
Keep the page file on c ONLY (the os drive) and allow windows to mange it automatically irregardless of your memory.
Paging works in conjunction with the os itself and should never be placed on another drive. Doing so will simply result in more activity and not more performance regardless of how fast another drive may be.

TY for responding guys. Also another question... What about when people who is talking about increasing the "virtual memory" x1.5 the amount of ram...will that increase performance... or just let Windows manage the size?

Last edited:
I used to have my PF at the bery beginging of a tiny partition on another drive. That way when both the OS and the PF were being accessed, there wasnt any competition between them. Not that I noticed a performance increase or anything, but having the fastest access times for the PF and no competition (it being at the front of a storage drive) couldnt hurt.

I always set my size up manually...with the min and max being the same. With my SSD, I have it set to 1024MB-1024MB. No issues here.

It all works but the key being that for c to access another drive results in that drive being 'tied' if you will to the OS drive and does not increase performance, it only increases hd activity (from one to two).
Plus I had the unfortunate accident of manually deleting a page file on another drive that was no longer set as a page file drive and it borked the drive completely! no recovery, nothing. Had to send it back under warranty and got a refurbished blank drive back sans ALL my music. nbd
Manually setting the size is fine but again will not improve what windows itself created and uses, that being a variable width page file. If you run the same program day in and day out and nothing else it still wouldn't help what windows already does automatically.

Its all done on the motherboard not in the drives. When the OS drive needs paging activity, it just goes where its set....I dont know all the details to help my cause out, but I do know TONS of sites state to do this for performance improvements (who knows what that translates to) and none have mentioned your concerns before. Doesnt mean your arent right, but, the information I have seen has never mentioned your concerns about that method before.

I prefer I have full control over my space on the drive regardles of mechanical or ssd.. thats all. This is only a concern though on smaller 'boot drive' SSD's really. That and if its set manually, the PF is contiguous, vs if windows starts off with 400MB then ends up using 2GB it could be scattered through the drive.

letting the paging file expand as needed, has got to be one of the worst thing you can do, IF you actually need it, for something like photoshop or when you load a huge file into memory and it needs it. if your using it, it is better to be a nice space Locked out on your hard drive for paging of the winders virtual memory system. If it is locked down , has its own little hole however that is done, it never needs any sort of maintance or defraggin or other stuff.

and i have deleted inactive paging files hundreds of times, and have never borked a disk from doing that, but then again, they arent fragged all over the disk.

none of the experts on windows virtual memory system recommends Completly disabling the paging file. there are a few programs that will either create another file, that pages anyways. and rare program that will fail completly and might throw up an error that doesnt even tell you why. I have seen it and it can drive you crasy wondering why something failed a certain way. There is very few things that without it, even with adequite ram, they are way slower.

. but most of them experts would say that it is a NEED thing and you shouldnt set it way to Much, or way to little, you should determine your need.

letting windows make a huge one with 12gig of memory is rediculous, unless you were really using all of that 12gig+ :)

there is a balance, but turning it off completly or screwing up tweaking it, you might as well leave it alone.

i would love it if winders never had a virtual memory system, and instead you Put memory on, they allocated it, then allocated more, and when it ran out things just say OUT of Memory, and you go buy some more. but it was born with it, everything has to work with it, and some things wont work properly without the paging part of the virtual memory system. if the dang thing would work 100% without it, and never cause any sort of problem, I would still have mine GONE forever.

i have worked with systems long ago, that did not use virtual memory, and if you ask me they were simpler faster and better, ya ran out of memory, then added more or just didnt do that, it was dreamy

Last edited:
Back