• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations on noise cancelling headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on noise cancelling headphones. I've been doing quite a of travelling on planes so I want something decent, but not way over priced for what it does. I've been doing some browsing and what not but I still have no idea what's good or not. Any advice and your experiences are very welcome :)

I'd suggest RE-0 by hifiman. Good usability with portables, good sound, and in ear so not noise cancelling (which sound like balls), but noise isolation. It's a good fit all around and only 80$. If all you want is good sound and aren't too picky these will carry you well into hifi if you start following that path, or satisfy you for as long as you keep them if you don't.

Being an IEM they are ideal for portable use as they are extremely small and the casing is metal, yet very light. hard to break, yet not gonna weigh your ears down.

http://www.amazon.com/HeadDirect-RE...r_1_6?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284770413&sr=8-6

Are you looking for over the ear or IEM?

Sorry, I should have put that in my first post. I want over ear headphones. I really don't like in-ear headphones, just don't like the idea of shoving those things in there :shrug:

How large?
I tested some DNR (digital noise reduction) and some ANR (analog or Active noise reduction) headsets, and what they did was amasing and cool. but as they alter what i hear to the noise on the outside (cancel), that altered the sound on the inside. and many of them have an audible hiss, which i thought should have been cleaned up.

For my needs i was looking more at extreeme versions, like pilots headsets and all, that i also couldnt even afford.

26Db $$$ this 10Db that $$$, and audio experts saying they dont like what they did to the sound.

DNR ANR and then PNR (Passive Noise reduction), that is just having a good enough seal around the ear, that less external sound gets in to begin with.

We already use various good headsets that cup the ear fully and try and keep sounds out. i just needed more isolation. and for cheep.

someone mentioned "Studio Kans" and i looked and it had some 29db of PNR , no electricity required, no hiss , no Money :) , I got those, and then even re-modified them so they were more insulated and the external holes were closed and locked down wire was put in place.

other STUFF: after long time use the skin oils/acids always rot away the pads on my $$$ headsets, and getting new pads for Last years models was sometimes impossible, i would have to Wedge on something that fit.
with the studio cans using a vinyl type of liquid filled ear pad, this would be the first time i have had an ear pad last time .

They were head clampers, the original pressure of the metal headband was way to high, even to achieve a good seal, so i back bent them to reduce the pressure, but i still concider the pressure a bit high. (mabey its my fat head :)

all the parts were made to last Much longer than the other stuff we paid the same price for $100. no plastic junk where it counted
they arent small or lightweight, they dont fold, but then neither did the crasy Pilots stuff we were looking at.
my Purpose was to hear my sound in auditoriums and halls where the sound is cranked up so high that i cannot tell MY sound from the noise in the buildings.

there is no special changes to the sounds, , no added highs or added lows, or 3d effects or whatever, they are "raw" sound, like a normal old school headset, so applying equalising, and enhancing would have to come from the device used to play stuff, not enhanced by the headphones themselves for special purposes, like wanting High Bass, or desires for excessive highs.

I am not sure how suitable or excessive that would be for consumer use. Some people have a tendancy to yell when wearing them :) because they cannot hear themselves.

sony senheiser sure, all make very nice cupping headsets that just the overear pads alone help a lot, and they all have good models for $100, I think that the manufactures believe that human ears are evolving smaller :) because the cups keep getting smaller. it is good to wrap your head around something in a real store because of this trend.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. I've done a lot of searching and I've decided to go for a set of these; Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B Got a good price for them. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back