• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Coolant/Fluid Roundup - Thermal Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went down the Water Wetter path many years ago when I first started water cooling (sounds like I took up illicit drugs or something) :p. Aside from the fact it didn't help at all, was a pain in the butt to clean the coating off everything, and stained the tubing it also caused micro bubbles to take forever to dissipate after refilling the loop. I'm sure that didn't help performance. Plus the stuff smells like hot sick. It did give the water a nice pink color if that's your thing. :sly:

I've used water wetter back in the day (prob close to ten years ago). Like was said it was def a time of experimentation and discovery. We tried it all.:D

Today it's all predone for you so not as much experimentation. :(

I agree with what's been said: Watter Wetter was designed for higher temp systems, it stains and coats parts, and it does look pink. So, probably not a good choice for water cooling.

Are you watercooling nuclear reactors these days? What additives are you using there? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you watercooling nuclear reactors these days? What additives are you using there? ;)
In the pressurized ones I know we add a lot of boric acid for neutron absorption, plus other suff to to keep corrosion down (hydrogen maybe, but I forget what). There is actually a group of over 20 people that test and maintain the water chemistry in a reactor coolant system. We have hot labs on site and everything!:D

Note: By 'hot' I mean labs that can deal with radioactive stuff in the water chemistry.

Owenator and I decided to keep these 2 posts post-cleanup because it show the diversity of our readership, not to mention the additives in pretty much the most extreme watercooling application in current use. ;) -- macklin01, forums moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh.

Sorry, but this leaves so much to be desired. If you're going to do a test, do it right. No mention of the chemical breakdown (yes you can run tests to determine this), PH, viscosity, methanol/hydrocarbon content, etc. etc.... This leaves us exactly where we started. Time to stop taking handouts and get involved with some real testing. Where is Martin?

If you look and see, this was done by Skinee Labs... one of the most respected water review sites around along with Martin. Sorry they didnt go into as much detail as you liked... its plenty for most. I mean who cares about the PH, and the amount of hydrocarbons anyway? What effect does knowing these values add to cooling anyway (serious question I have no idea)?

EDIT: Perhaps you can look/respond at the thread you started a couple weeks ago asking for watercooling help instead of randomly disparaging a two year old article that we at OCF didnt even write. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but this leaves so much to be desired. If you're going to do a test, do it right. No mention of the chemical breakdown (yes you can run tests to determine this), PH, viscosity, methanol/hydrocarbon content, etc. etc.... This leaves us exactly where we started. Time to stop taking handouts and get involved with some real testing. Where is Martin?

Martin retired for the second time. He did it for free like Skinnee. It was a hobby and someday it's time to move on.

Your welcome to spend a few $1000 for testing equipment and do it like you want it done I guess. Let us know your results buddy.:popcorn:

Back