• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Valve team up to provide ATI Catalyst updates on Steam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlieCS

In case you missed it. :soda:

With today’s exciting announcement from AMD and Valve®, Steam gamers will never again have to worry about finding the most recent ATI Catalyst™ graphics driver. PC gamers can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst™ driver for their ATI Radeon™ graphics card directly from within Steam! Gamers using ATI graphics will not only be kept posted on the latest available drivers for their hardware, but with every update they’ll know that they’re getting the overall best possible gaming experience AMD and Valve can provide.

Source.

I like this! I forgot to check for new drivers recently, and was a few versions out of date. This is a welcome idea!

I rely on people on here to tell me when new drivers are available... the idea seems cool tho... :D

Didn't work for me

I have latest Steam Client, and latest (official) Catalyst Drivers: Radeon 4870.

I click "check for video card updates", and I get this:

DRIVER UPDATE
UNKNOWN VENDOR

Steam has determined that your video drivers are out of date, however we have not been able to determine which drivers you need. Please contact your video card vendor for further information. For your convenience, we have provided a list of the most common vendor driver pages below.

•ATI
•Intel
•NVIDIA
•S3
•Trident
•Matrox Graphics
•Tseng Labs
•Cirrus Logic

I figure, OK, maybe I need to help it. Then I wonder why it asks me what OS and 64-bit-ness of my OS Version (can't it tell?) and then the DAMN TOPPER is the link just takes me to the Catalyst download page on ATI website!

Gee, Steam, thanks a lot! Saved me SO much effort.

I don't know what happened to you when you tried the driver update in Steam, when I tried it it worked no problem it checked my CCC version and started downloading the new one (10.9 )instantly then when it was downloaded it asked me if I wanted to install now and one click was all it took and I just had to reset my eyefinity desktop and I was ready to go.Its really aimed at the less technically inclined users new to updating video drivers. I7-920/DO Windows7/64 Sapphire HD5970oc

I don't know what happened to you when you tried the driver update in Steam, when I tried it it worked no problem it checked my CCC version and started downloading the new one (10.9 )instantly then when it was downloaded it asked me if I wanted to install now and one click was all it took and I just had to reset my eyefinity desktop and I was ready to go.Its really aimed at the less technically inclined users new to updating video drivers. I7-920/DO Windows7/64 Sapphire HD5970oc

I don't know either. I have a totally vanilla install of Windows 7 64-bit and Catalyst. No tricks on my part. I guess it doesn't know my Manufacturer (which is I believe Saphire).

It's just another gimmick. Just check out AMD's website periodically for new drivers. It isn't that hard to do.:soda:

Kind of what I thought. First saw the window pop up and thought "wow, neat." Then I closed and forgot about it until I saw this thread.

But then again, most people probably don't know that updating their display driver is generally a good idea, so this could go both ways.

It's just another gimmick. Just check out AMD's website periodically for new drivers. It isn't that hard to do.:soda:

it isn't a gimmic, you may be surprised how many people get their updates from windows update, i dont know of ANY one who keeps up to date with drivers and checks manufactures sites ever, and i am sure Steam is a good way to see what driver versions people have installed, if most people had new drivers, this likely would not of happened, but it did, so i think it is safe to assume most people are running out of date drivers.

AMD/ATI has a new version for the Catalyst Control Center each month ( 10.9 =2010 Sept. ) doesn't make any difference which mfg you have its the same driver for all of them. It's not a gimmick no one is getting rich doing this,Steam is just trying to make it a simple task for their users period,if you don't like it or trust it you don't have use it. Updating your driver could break some of the games you play just as easy as it could fix some problems so you should always be prepared to revert to your previous version of driver just in case .Cheers

it isn't a gimmic, you may be surprised how many people get their updates from windows update, i dont know of ANY one who keeps up to date with drivers and checks manufactures sites ever, and i am sure Steam is a good way to see what driver versions people have installed, if most people had new drivers, this likely would not of happened, but it did, so i think it is safe to assume most people are running out of date drivers.

My thoughts exactly, usually if I don't have any issues I don't update drivers very often (unless I see where a graphics driver improves a game I'm playing which seems to almost never happen), I just upgraded from 10.3 to 10.8 not that long ago. All it got me was losing the full power saving features when overclocking my card (I'm lazy I just reverted to stock speeds as I didn't want to re-install drivers, it's not like my card really needs oc'ing outside of benchmarking anyways)

it doesn't happen to run driver sweeper, does it? ;)

Nice feature, as really few people update their drivers, as said before.

i have never needed driver sweeper on any driver update, i always just removed old, installed new and was done with it, and if i got a new vid card i formated.

This is awesome, I installed a new 5770 in my computer, launch steam, and it installs the driver for me! Great going steam, making me even more lazy :)

I don't use windows update but I do stay up to date. I vet every driver/update with reviews etc. before installing. Windows update has caused me major woes in the past, at work and at home. It takes a ton of time to do all the research etc. but it's worth it for one less system rebuild a year, at least.

Back