• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]AMD Phenom II x6 1075T Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice write up. I would look at the pifast graphs though... It says the 4ghz 1075 got a 21.xx and then just below that it says a 4.3ghz 1075 got a 26.xx. Now I know the architectures are different, but with a highly tweaked system and a benching OS, I pull right around 27 (27.06ish) on my 720 just below 4ghz. So the 21.xx at 4ghz is a bit out of the ball park.

Nice review Jeremy! I'm pleased with the performance compared to the 1090T and i7 870 so if I ever go hexa core, I'll probably save some cash and get this one.

Very nice write-up Jeremy :thup: But I'm not so convinced in AMD's price/performance ratio.....it may be competative with Intel, but it's not a clear cut victory. :-/

Nevertheless, I just got my hands on my first AMD chip (1090T) since my socket 939 Opteron in 2006 :clap: I'm looking forward to the new challenges and fun :cool:

Interesting Miah. I actually agree that AMD has a pretty clear victory in the hex-core game, to me. If AMD can give me six cores in a single package and bring competitive performance to the table for less than half the cost that Intel can do it, I'm going to buy my hex cores from AMD. If multicore workloads aren't what I'm using and having the fastest chip for gaming is what I want, I'd scale back the number of cores and look at buying something from intel.

If you absolutely positively need those extra few ticks of power, then $900 for a 980X makes good buying since, but otherwise most people would be happy and well served by an AMD hexcore for $300 or so. Amd does not take the performance crown, but they are selling a great product at a very attractive price that is likely to work for many peoples budgets.

Nice write up. I would look at the pifast graphs though... It says the 4ghz 1075 got a 21.xx and then just below that it says a 4.3ghz 1075 got a 26.xx. Now I know the architectures are different, but with a highly tweaked system and a benching OS, I pull right around 27 (27.06ish) on my 720 just below 4ghz. So the 21.xx at 4ghz is a bit out of the ball park.
Nope, the graph is correct. I had dropped HT & CPU-NB clocks to push frequency as far as it would go without worrying about having to get them stable too. IIRC, they were < 2000 MHz in the 4.3GHz run, but were at 2400 MHz in the 4.0GHz run. Just goes to show how important HT & CPU-NB clocks really are to benching results!
Nice review Jeremy! I'm pleased with the performance compared to the 1090T and i7 870 so if I ever go hexa core, I'll probably save some cash and get this one.
I completely agree, this is the one I'd go for too. Unless you need the BE multiplier flexibility (i.e. if you're going sub-zero), this one is a great choice and will likely do anything most people need with ambient cooling.
Very nice write-up Jeremy :thup: But I'm not so convinced in AMD's price/performance ratio.....it may be competative with Intel, but it's not a clear cut victory. :-/

Nevertheless, I just got my hands on my first AMD chip (1090T) since my socket 939 Opteron in 2006 :clap: I'm looking forward to the new challenges and fun :cool:
Thanks, and congrats on your AMD purchase! See if Giga will spring to get you some helium now. :bday:

As far as the cost-benefit, IMOG said it better than I could - though I will note he said less-than-half the cost...it's more like less than a third. :cool:
Interesting Miah. I actually agree that AMD has a pretty clear victory in the hex-core game, to me. If AMD can give me six cores in a single package and bring competitive performance to the table for less than half the cost that Intel can do it, I'm going to buy my hex cores from AMD. If multicore workloads aren't what I'm using and having the fastest chip for gaming is what I want, I'd scale back the number of cores and look at buying something from intel.

If you absolutely positively need those extra few ticks of power, then $900 for a 980X makes good buying since, but otherwise most people would be happy and well served by an AMD hexcore for $300 or so. Amd does not take the performance crown, but they are selling a great product at a very attractive price that is likely to work for many peoples budgets.

Obviously you're correct with a hex to hex comparison....but I was specifically looking at Lynnfield VS Thuban according to the article. It's a give and take in performance from what I can see....and the price is only slightly different. Plus if you took both CPUs to their individual limits (which Jeremy did not claim to do) I think you'd find the Intel would edge out the Thuban in all but a select few tests.

I'm not saying the Intel would be better price/performance....just that it's not a clear cut victory for AMD.

To put it simply....I think they are both competitive in the midrange segment :thup:

Thanks, and congrats on your AMD purchase! See if Giga will spring to get you some helium now. :bday:

Thanks man....but Gigabyte provided the goods. :cool: I'm going to try to get back into the game well enough to write a guide for AMD overclcoking ;)

Nope, the graph is correct. I had dropped HT & CPU-NB clocks to push frequency as far as it would go without worrying about having to get them stable too. IIRC, they were < 2000 MHz in the 4.3GHz run, but were at 2400 MHz in the 4.0GHz run. Just goes to show how important HT & CPU-NB clocks really are to benching results!

Wow! That's a great result!

Thanks man....but Gigabyte provided the goods. :cool: I'm going to try to get back into the game well enough to write a guide for AMD overclcoking ;)

/me breaks out the godfather impression

"Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me."

I've been asking for someone to write the AMD guide here for what seems like a decade now. Seeing as how we are pointing people to your newest Intel guide on techreaction from our most popular article and a news post on the topic... Maybe you could publish your AMD guide in tandem here at Overclockers.com? :D It's asking a lot, I know... But it would be a nice way to give a little back for the chunk of traffic and link juice we are sending your way every day! :eh?:

One more article for old times sake! haha

You have lots of talent here Matt....they can feel free to use my guide (if/when I write it) for inspiration :thup:

My thoughts of writing one have bee a long time coming (partially spurred by you)...but being part of TechREACTION and wanting it to succeed is THE reason I've decided to do it.

BTW - I have been watching....and I am very grateful for the linkage...you guys are still very much in my thoughts :grouphug:

/me breaks out the godfather impression

"Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me."

I've been asking for someone to write the AMD guide here for what seems like a decade now. Seeing as how we are pointing people to your newest Intel guide on techreaction from our most popular article and a news post on the topic... Maybe you could publish your AMD guide in tandem here at Overclockers.com? :D It's asking a lot, I know... But it would be a nice way to give a little back for the chunk of traffic and link juice we are sending your way every day! :eh?:

One more article for old times sake! haha

I would suggest DOLK. I would do it myself, but being as I've only ever used one chip, it's a bit lopsided. Also, AMD and intel run totally different. If you look back at Jeremy's A64 guide, almost none of it still applies to today's Amd chips where as the 775 guides are still semi-useable do to the similar nature (in bus clocking). The fact that Amd chips offer unlocked multipliers at extremely low (comparatively speaking) prices means that there is a whole other dimension to overclocking and Amd chip. That takes a much longer guide than three steps to find the optimal setup. On intel, it's the bus, then the ram, then the extras. Amd could be bus then ram then extras, but with the multiplier, you might want to find a max with the multiplier, then a max with the bus, then max out your ram, and then find a correct balance between the two, and then finally tweak the extras. Also, when I say extras, I mean cpu-nb (uncore), HT Link, etc.

Ya, I've knocked on a lot of doors, shaken a bunch of trees, and pounded the drum... Pretty much done everything someone under-qualified to write it themselves can do to coax some people who are qualified to write it. We have some good guides on the forum, but they aren't the distilled, simplified, straightforward caliber we encourage for the frontpage - a frontpage guide needs good structure for the reader to follow, and a clear progression. Essentially its taking the same ingredients we already have, but through better composition giving things a better presentation thats more palatable to the masses... A lot of readers are not forum rats interested in digging to research for the answers. A really good guide has a huge audience, as Miah's 3 step guide demonstrated. There are a lot of forum members here now due to the way that article wetted people's appetite for overclocking and eased the introduction.

It can be done for the AMD side of the house also, but someone with good first hand experience and understanding of the fundamentals would need to step up and make it happen. Doesn't have to be an expert either. :)

nice review :) the results might have been more interesting if the i7-875k had have been used instead of the 655k. Might have been a bit more fair since it was a dual core against quad and hexa cores.

nice review :) the results might have been more interesting if the i7-875k had have been used instead of the 655k. Might have been a bit more fair since it was a dual core against quad and hexa cores.

Thanks for the compliment. However, the i7 870 was right there in the results. It's just an 875K with a locked multiplier.

By the way everybody, the 1075T is on Newegg now for $245.99. Fortunately for those with a few extra dollars, the 1090T is close on its heels at only $269.99!

IMOG, I talked to ED the other day about the same thing.

I'm a bit bogged down with school right now. I have my entire guide in Research Paper format, so it won't take me to long to transfer it over to article format. I'd imagine that the Editors will need to work on it a lot to make it worthy of the front page though.

I may have some spare time this weekend to get it done. I do want to add a couple things before I post it up. i.e. add an athlon section to the guide.

IMOG, I talked to ED the other day about the same thing.

I'm a bit bogged down with school right now. I have my entire guide in Research Paper format, so it won't take me to long to transfer it over to article format. I'd imagine that the Editors will need to work on it a lot to make it worthy of the front page though.

I may have some spare time this weekend to get it done. I do want to add a couple things before I post it up. i.e. add an athlon section to the guide.

If you can stage the content in wordpress from the research paper format, even if its just a raw copy and paste, I'll edit it like a rabid dog. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing, or if thats even a meaningful metaphor, but if I don't have time to do it I just won't sleep. I've been waiting and wanting this for a long time for the site. :)

We can hold off publishing still until you add what you'd like to add, however I'd like to get something in the backend so we can start paring it down to the guts of the matter. Get it going, and when I see you at the benching meetup this November, drinks are on me.

Last edited:
Alright I'll see what I can do :D

Dude! Edit the above btw. SHHHHHHHHH :sn:

If you do a copy/paste from Word, don't forget to use the word paste button (middle row, clipboard with a "W" on it). If not Word but another editor, use the text paste button (next to word paste, but is a clipboard with a "T" on it), which will de-format everything so it doesn't mess up the HTML.

LMK when its up there and I can take a stab at editing it as well... Leave the menial stuff to the minions guys. Thats why we are here. And since my well seems to have run dry as far as articles goes, I will have some time over several days to lop off some fat and such leaving the details in tact.

Back