• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme for 5870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

Just read a review of Arctic Cooling's latest for the HD5xxx series, they're bringing out a 5970 and 5870 version .. Here's a link to the review on Overclock3D

Pics (from Overclock3D.net)
19112004243l.JPG
19112005567l.JPG

.. and then check out some of their results :p GPU @ 1GHz running FurMark maxing out at 45°C!!
19124726276l.jpg

So .. I've ordered one :p .. I'll post up pics n a comparison to the stock cooler when it arrives

seems sorta unnecssary with the 5870 running quiet and cool out of the box...i also don't mind noise though...

The extra cooling should allow higher OCs, though!

It did for me on my GTX280 using Arctic Cooling's equivalent cooler. I really like the cooler, but I did have a few issues w/ it.

The VRM cooling is not very good on the GTX280 version (not sure about the 5870 version, but the pics online make it look a lot better). I ended up attaching several low-profile HS's on top of the included VRM HS to increase the metallic surface area. It worked.

The HS+card was so heavy that my card did not seat into the PCIe slot correctly. This caused my PC to boot to a black screen. At first I used zip-ties to support it, and then I had a friend mill an adjustable aluminum post that acts as a support leg for the card.

Also be careful about your PCIe power cables. The way I had mine sweeping under the card they actually interfered w/ 1 of the 92mm fans on the card and prevented it from spinning.

That's the one I've been eyeing. Thanks for posting the review.

I've been reading that the aftermarket coolers for the 5870s do a good job of cooling the core but are lousy at cooling the VRM of the 5870. This review made no reference to the VRM cooling of this unit from AC. Can anyone speak on that?

Mine showed up today, got it installed but didn't realize how HENCH it is (about as long as a 5970) .. It cools pretty well and running at 100% I still hear it lol..

I'm a little worried about the voltage gear tho .. Running FurMark gets em to around 100°C (one maxed out close to 120°C!) with the Fan running at auto speeds.. Below are a few temps gathered from some FurMark torture

Fan Speed: Auto (25% and 50%)
Idle Load
57°C 89°C

Fan Speed: High (100%)
Idle Load
42°C 71°C

Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme (HD5870)

Fan Speed: Auto (CCC set it to around 35%)

Idle Load
40°C 74°C

Fan Speed: High (100%, ~1900RPM)
Idle Load
38°C 50°C

if you can control it with an msi afterburner fan profile this would be a pretty sweet cooler...

I have mine (GTX280 version) running at 100% all the time and can't hear it over my other fans.

The VRMs do get pretty hot, but from what I've read they can take it.

Back