• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6X58D vs Rampage III Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Advent

Registered
I am currently set up on the P6X58D with an i7 920 and one ATI 5970.

I'm looking to do some upgrades mainly to incorporate an Intel i7 980 along with another 5970 for some benchmarking and overclocking runs.

My question is if it's worth upgrading the motherboard, and that if they Rampage III Formula would even be that much of an upgrade.

I'm a big Asus fan when it comes to motherboards, but I'm open to suggestions on other boards as long as you can give me something to look for in them. I know that MSI and Gigabyte both have great offerings out there, I'm just not familiar enough with the companies to compare.

I appreciate any help and look forward to being involved in the forums.

Still learning the forum, can't find signatures, my current system:

Asus P6X58D
Intel i7 920
Corsair Dominator GT (12 GB)
ATI 5970
Corsair 1kw psu
Corsair P128 SSD x2 (raid 0)
Corsair Obsidian Case

Personally i would hang onto that mobo, it should do just fine if you aren't planning on doing some extreme benching.

Plus, boards that are specifically built for a 980x are expensive, the rampage III extreme is asus's offering.

Personally i would hang onto that mobo, it should do just fine if you aren't planning on doing some extreme benching.

Plus, boards that are specifically built for a 980x are expensive, the rampage III extreme is asus's offering.

Thanks for the advice. I think it will make sense to use the P6X58D, it has been running my i7 920 and my single 5970 for about 6 months now without a hitch, which is nice. I'll have to re-familiarize myself with the various options on the board, as the last time I did any overclocking was back with my A8N32 SLI deluxe with an AMD chip.

That's why I signed up here though.

I have the same doubt. Problem is that people are telling that rampage II Formula has a problem with high BLCK. Some are saying that can´t pass the 220Mhz wall.
Can anyone say if this is an major issue? And if this is true to any Rampage III Formula?
I want to place one i7 950 in the RIIIF and achieve something like 4.2Ghz. Is it possible with BCLK 220Mhz?

The 950 has a multiplier of 23, so for 4200mhz you need a bclk of 182.6, that should be easily attainable (assuming the 950 is capable of 4.2ghz.
Very few boards/chips can do 220 or above on air.

The 950 has a multiplier of 23, so for 4200mhz you need a bclk of 182.6, that should be easily attainable (assuming the 950 is capable of 4.2ghz.
Very few boards/chips can do 220 or above on air.

Hey Bobnova,
Thank you for your quick answer.
So would you buy the RIIIF?

Hey Bobnova,
Thank you for your quick answer.
So would you buy the RIIIF?

I think that, for what you are looking to do, you should be able to get by with a more valuable board. Keeping in mind that a better value does not equal less features or a decrease in functionality.

So which motherboard would do that in your opinion?
It should have usb 3, sata 6, raid, SLI 16x/16x and one pci-e to plug a xonar dx sound card.

Right now I'm using the Asus P6X58D, but as stated above, I've yet to really venture away from Asus. I'd wait for some opinions on eVGA, Gigabyte and MSI before you make your decision.

bobnova that replied earlier has the rampageIII and has had it to 243 bclk. he has only one run on it so far and is still figuring it out. I have an asus p6t deluxe that has done 250 bclk and a giga x58a ud3 that has done 257. The rampageIII is prolly the best bet for high bclk but if you are going with a 980x chip the bclk doesnt really matter as you will have all the multi that you want. nothing wrong with the asus that you have, try it out and see if it does what you want, if not then look into the RIIIE. No sense in not saving some cash where you can. Do note that the bclks that I referenced were with dry ice cooling on the chip, as not many will do 5ghz without some kind of serious cooling. Some of the 980x's will do insane clocks if you can keep them cold.

Right now I'm using the Asus P6X58D, but as stated above, I've yet to really venture away from Asus. I'd wait for some opinions on eVGA, Gigabyte and MSI before you make your decision.

Thank you Advent, I have only the two first weeks of October to buy my mobo because that is the period that I gonna be in USA. I will keep an eye in this forum to see more opinions.:welcome:

yea id stick with the P6X58D its a great board very stable and it overclocks well,dont think the rampage would do any better.

RIIIF

I have the same doubt. Problem is that people are telling that rampage II Formula has a problem with high BLCK. Some are saying that can´t pass the 220Mhz wall.
Can anyone say if this is an major issue? And if this is true to any Rampage III Formula?
I want to place one i7 950 in the RIIIF and achieve something like 4.2Ghz. Is it possible with BCLK 220Mhz?

I running the RIIIF at 4.31 CPU Multiplier 21 @ I think my blck is 205, I am not at home know so not sure, running this setup for pass couple of days now.
I7-950 -- TEMP 39 C at idle
Zalman CNPS10x quite Cooler
Cool Master 932 case.

Back