• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All "New" GPU Cooler Brought to You by MattNo5ss

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Ever need a heat sink to cool that power hungry beast of yours? Is the stock cooling horrible and your GPU is without any good after market solutions? If so, then improvise. Find an unused CPU cooler you have tucked away or even go all out and buy a CPU cooler for your GPU if there are no GPU specific solutions.

Here's my attempt at GPU cooling improvisation. I have installed a Thermalright Venomous X on my 8800GTX. I've done this so when I attempt 3D benching, I'll have decent GPU cooling.

Unfortunately, I have to go to class until 10PM CST. So, I don't have any thermal results yet. I'm posting this now to let it marinate for the next couple of hours and hopefully give you guys something interesting to view and contemplate.

See you guys in ~3 hours :)

@Mods: Feel free to change the title if needed. I thought of it as a partly true, funny, attention grabber.

Attachments

• DSC02321.JPG
    DSC02321.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 16,265
  • DSC02322.JPG
    DSC02322.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 5,380
  • DSC02323.JPG
    DSC02323.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 2,562
  • DSC02324.JPG
    DSC02324.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 2,578
  • DSC02333.JPG
    DSC02333.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 2,597
Awesome MAtt! Hollow out a 120mm fan and set a pile of DICE on that puppy!

Some tape is definitely in order to hold it up, or something like tape at least.

Thanks guys! I thought this was a pretty neat idea, and I haven't seen someone mount a CPU cooler on a GPU before. Even on a horizontal motherboard I wont need any brackets or anything to hold it up, the PCI slot works well :thup:

That is pretty cool, Matt.:cool: Will it fit in your case?

Anything fits on an open bench :D

At least. Something for sure though. In an upright case it should technically be fine, but who benches like that? ;)

I'm thinking the same thing about it being fine in an upright case as long as your bracket is screwed in. I might have to try it in a the only case I have left, CM 360 Elite.

Attachments

• DSC02337.JPG
    DSC02337.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 6,742
  • DSC02338.JPG
    DSC02338.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 2,516
Alright, I ran FurMark at stock clocks until the temps leveled off, it looks like a load temp that jumps between 48-49C (idle of 38-39C). With the stock cooler, idle temp was at ~50C with load temps into the low 70s C. So, that's like a 21-24C drop in temps :clap:

Not bad at all :D

8800GTX Temps VX.jpg

Last edited:
That's decent :D

I love how it just chills there on the PCIe slots.

BTW: I spy an R3E :rock:

man, I'd get a bit nervous about that bend myself...you got any left over tubing from your wc loop that you can jam under there to just take some of the weight off?

That's decent :D

I love how it just chills there on the PCIe slots.

BTW: I spy an R3E :rock:

I'm going to try and make a run at 3D with my 8800GTX/GTS/GT, never really done it before. I'm keeping an eye on your 06 thread. This is what makes ambient benching fun, you have to be creative :D

man, I'd get a bit nervous about that bend myself...you got any left over tubing from your wc loop that you can jam under there to just take some of the weight off?

There's really no bend. It's just leeway in the PCIe slots. I do have some tubing and PVC from my loop and station that I could use.

Considering that we have almost identical hardware (gts/mobo/cpu at least), this could be a glorious contest :D

I have no air cooler for the 920 aside from stock though, a minor issue :p

Good thing i'm going dice, bridging the gap from 96core gts to 128core ultra could be tricky :D

Great stuff.

A cooler with less convex base is possible to "fit" better with the (huge) gpu die.

Back