• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best bang for buck - running arcgis - want 2x sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackfury

This will be for a work computer, new computer isn't finished yet but main components are:

i7 - 950
gigabyte x58-ud3r
kingston hyperx 1600 memory - 3 x 2gb
2 x hard disks in raid 0 - unsure which hard drive
1 x optical drive
power supply - unsure on required wattage
running 3 monitors right now - 1920x 1200 and two 1920 x 1080

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two nvidia 450 1gb's or two nvidia 460 768gb's. And I think I narrowed that down to the msi cyclone line, offering a $20 rebate right now.

Given the fact this is a work computer, drawing maps with ArcGis, I don't know which setup would be better. My computer right now takes a few seconds to redraw the maps when I pan around, and I would really like to cut down on this.

Current computer:
intel q9450 @ 3.0ghz
abit ip35pro
gskill ram 2 x 2gb- I think 1000mhz, cant remember
1 x samsung 750gb harddrive
1 x lg dvd burner
corsair 750tx power supply
ecs 8800gt video card for the main two displays
ati 3450 for the display I use mainly for documents

This is really a makeshift setup right now, but really want to improve upon. Any advice on the 450 or 460 would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well the new setup looks good but i would get the 1gb model of the gtx 460 a 800w psu should do fine corsair or xfx should do well, also overclocking the i7 would help much.

Definitely plan on overclocking the i7

Guess I was hoping the two 450 1gb's would be more bang for my buck. Doing more reading on it now.

Put this in general video card section in case ati had something better to offer in the price range.

Toying with the idea of two ati 5770's. Newegg has three that are $125 after rebate right now. Sapphire appears to have the best reviews.

Another side note, I will be purchasing one, then another about a month later.

Now the I'm just wondering what two cards will perform the best in a workstation environment(guessing its very similar to gaming). Thinking two 460 1gb's might be a little much for me at the moment budget wise, but if it will make a noticeable enough difference I will spend the extra money.

Well it will make a difference once getting into intense rendering etc..... but if you invest in a good cpu cooler and do a decent overlock on the i7 you should be fine with any of the videocards you go with.

Back