• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows pausing/short freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LadyQuake

Registered
Hi

I recently reloaded windows and everything again, as I replaced the motherboard. Now seems I have another problem lol

But I noticed something that is annoying, I hope you know what it is without me installing everything again..

The computer keeps pausing now and then for a few seconds, I could just be on the desktop I moved the mouse about and it did it, Also on webpages, typing anything, even in Games which is such a pain :confused:

Its Windows XP.

I didnt notice it along the way as i just installed everything and windows XP had around 80 updates i think it was to, i just put on things I had before the motherboard. Opening task manager I cant see anything doing it when it happens.

I done nortons scan and also adware/spyware scan. nothing.

Any ideas?

Should I reinstall IE8 or dont you think it could be that?

thanks
Shirl

PS sorry didnt mean to put just HI in title but cant change it.

Are your graphics drivers installed?

and Norton is a biiiig computer hog, disable that and see what the difference is, norton and macaffee are well known for eating your computers resources.

Hi

I disabled the Nortons AV and Firewall
Still pauses.

I did put on the card drivers, same as I used before.
Even reinstalled the drivers and no change.

Any other ideas?

Shall I take off IE8 see if that caused it?
It was IE6 when I installed Win XP, thou I didnt try anything back then as I installed windows then all the updates so I didnt notice if it did it back then.

Shirl

Give us your FULL system specs because anything could be causing it. My wireless card used to make my system stutter when I had too many incoming connections after I had installed the latest drivers suggested by windows update.

I made the title more descriptive for you - you can edit it by editting your first post and changing the title. :thup:

Sounds like a bad driver to me, something causing interrupts and momentarily locking up explorer. Could be anything... Printer, chipset, audio, video... You should start by checking the manufacturer websites and seeing if installing the latest drivers resolve your problem.

It would also help to know your service pack level.

Hi

Heres the full spec & everything my computer has

Athlon Socket A - 3200Mhz 400fsb
3GB DDR Ram
A7N8X - Deluxe - Motherboard
4 Hard drives (2 are SATA)
GeForce FX5500 AGP 8x Card
(I have to use driver 93.71 to work with game I do the most)
500w Power X2 PSU
8cm Fan back of case
2 x 8cm Fans front of Case
Artic Cooling Copper Silent 1 (or 2) Fan on CPU
Aero Blower also blowing on CPU direction
Ive got a 5.25" large fan in a bay
Sentry 1 NZXT Fan Controller
Jeantech Butterfly V2 case
LG DVD/CD drive
Floppy

I think thats it lol
Everything works OK before I changed the motherboard (as old one died).

Ive had the side off since Ive changed motherboard so cant be overheating.

Shirl

Hi

Answer to other post.

I have service pack 3

As I installed everything new
Ill check drivers again

If printer, camera and scanner are off wouldnt be those would it? if they are off.

And thanks for changing the title.

Shirl

Last edited:
Depends - printers often install crappy software which is running in the background constantly, and I've seen it cause conflicts before. Best bet if you have printer/camera/scanner stuff is to just install the driver portions and not let the software run in the background all the time.

Where did you install everything new from? If its from disc, there are probably newer versions on the Asus website. Put your motherboard model in the search field in the top left here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

That will list the latest versions of drivers and things for your motherboard which you may want to install.

Hi

Most drivers I saved the Driver files from when I put them on before, as they worked before.

Like My Scanner is old a Bearpaw hard to find those drivers so I kept them from before, same with Fujifilm Finepix A204.

All the motherboard drivers for sound and everything else it asked for I used the Cd with Motherboard.

DVD/CD I used the CD that came with it.

Ill go through delete some software programmes see if that makes a difference to.

Shirl

I despise Norton more than anyone on the planet, but honestly can't see it doing that from a clean install. Takes time to get virused up. Out of spite, I would uninstall Norton and install AVG. Much easier on your resources, and every time I pull Norton out and put something else in, I catch a bunch of viruses.

This really does not sound like a virus to me, but it could just be Norton eating up your resources. Even disabled, when I uninstall it I am surprised to find all the other stuff Norton was running.

I am thinking this has to be related to the recent hardware change though. Swapping a motherboard will have a big effect. It's the obvious recent change.

On older machines AVG is as bad if not worse than Norton. Microsoft Security Essentials would be a much better choice. You may want to check for a bios update perhaps your cpu is not properly supported by the bios version that board is currently running. Also did you happen to install the forceware firewall when you installed the nvidia chipset drivers? If you did uninstall it as it is known to cause issues.

to many possibilites.

open up the task manager, go to the "performace" tab , when you get the balks is there spikes in CPU usage?
Go to the "processes" tab, select the columns to view, then sort the process list by "CPU" by pushing on the cpu header item (sort by).
when you get balks see what is using the cpu.

then get to VIEW / SELECT COLUMNS , and select these specific items
[X] CPU Usage <--- how much cpu some program or service is using at a the moment
[X] CPU time <--- how much time that particular process gets Slices of the CPU
[X] Memory Usage <--- The memory the program itself is actually using
[X] I/O Read bytes <--- Data going in via that program
[X] Thread Count <---- number of open threads from that progam
[X] I/O Write bytes <--- Data going out via that program
[X] I/O Other Bytes <--- Data that doesnt get seen as the other 2 :)

when the balk hits, see what program is doing I/O reads and writes.

System IDLE is exactally that, when it shows high CPU it means nothing

At the Same time, have any sort of temperature monitor viewing the temperatures of the CPU.
at the same time monitor the clock speed that the cpu is running at , when you have stepping on
at the same time monitor the clock speed of the gpu when you dont have Gpu speeds locked down

Which just leaves being able to do anything :) when seeing all that.

Last edited:
Hi

I found out something tonight as I tried a few games that may help someone figure out whats wrong.

Anything I do in windows environment, typing, moving mouse, web things, and I do a game in a window as I play 2 figures sometimes easier to tab to other window (everquest), they all pause like I said.

If I play a game out of a window like Colin McRae and Joint ops I have they dont pause.

Does that help anymore?

I did uninstall Nortons and made no difference so put back on.

Does that sound like ill have to reinstall windows again 8(

I looked to see if i could remove service pack 3 incase that caused it, but I have it in Add/Remove but no button to press to remove.

--------------------------------------------
From doing the Task Manager on the things above, I hope I got all you needed the numbers moved about alot sometimes, I had Outlook express minimized and 2 webpages open and I was jiggling a window around so I could see it pause.

These are the programmes that moved during the pauses:-

X] CPU Usage <--- how much cpu some program or service is using at a the moment
iexplorer.exe x 3, taskmgr.exe, System Idle, csrss.exe

[X] CPU time <--- how much time that particular process gets Slices of the CPU
just the iexplorer x 3 moved

[X] Memory Usage <--- The memory the program itself is actually using
just the iexplorer x 3 moved

[X] I/O Read bytes <--- Data going in via that program
csrss.exe and lsass.exe moved

[X] Thread Count <---- number of open threads from that progam
none moved when it paused

[X] I/O Write bytes <--- Data going out via that program
lsass.exe moved

[X] I/O Other Bytes <--- Data that doesnt get seen as the other 2 :)
ccsvchst.exe, svchost.exe and lsass.exe moved

Hope I did that ok.

I have a fan and temperature monitor, I have been having the side open incase the heat but making no difference to the pauses, its about 50 oC right now but ive done gaming for a few hours.

Clock speed of CPU that the 200 fsb thats right in BIOS.

Clock speed of GPU, not sure where to find that.

-------------------------------------------------------------
this has happened once in event viewer, about half hour ago.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 24/09/2010
Time: 23:31:31
User: N/A
Computer: AMD
Description:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
---------------------------------------------------------
thats the C drive I take it?
I did do a Error Checking in My Computer this morning and that all came fine it said.
no other errors in event viewer.

Shirl

Last edited:
Hi

Motherboards got the latest BIOS.

I just used the disk with the board for chipset drivers
Ill have to check on those, but i dont like messing about much with that incase i mess it up even worse :cry:

shirl

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
---------------------------------------------------------

Shirl

Sorry i didnt mean i would want to see all that stuff, it was so you could see it.
Then you come back in and Post this or that seems to be going crasy.
or , what is BckDorTrojan and why is it writing to my drives :)
or OHH it is windows defragging, or Hey its the virus checker going.

but i was interested in the temps, beings you have a "quiet" name on your cooling. the temps arent out of line.

but this thing here, a bad block, that isnt real normal.
can you run this in a CMD console
chkdsk D: /F /X
check the disk a little bit more thourougly.

Hi

Sorry about that long post then lol

That funny because D: is my DVD/CD (no disks in it either)
I put what you said anyway and it said
Cannot open the volume for direct access

I have a
a: floppy
c: IDE HD
d: LG DVD/CD - IDE
e: + f: IDE HD (partitoned drive even thou as i reinstalled everything still stays as E + F after formatting but i dont mind)
g: SATA HD
h: SATA HD

Shirl

Well then it probably was the c drive.

here is my batch file, probably way overkill for some systems.
its Main purpose is to see if a disk is set for "dirty"
its secondary purpose, it asks before it does it, is check every disk.

http://home.comcast.net/~TVV0/ChkDisks.txt
(right click Save as , 10K)
Must be renamed to .bat , and like all batch files you get off the web, it doesnt hurt to look inside before you run it.
and if you dont have sleep.exe
http://home.comcast.net/~TVV0/SLEEP.EXE

not that is gonna help, but that gets one oddity out of the way.
this is the tool i run with a shortcut, to check everything , if anything is going funkey in my drives
, or they just dont get checked enough, because i dont Crash ever so it doesnt check ever :)
probably better posted somehwere on its own thread.

Last edited:
Back