Little Rock, AR (AR is Arkansas NOT Arizona!!!)

Question RAID/Fast-Init problem

Hello all, been a very long time since I last posted but I have a problem that I need a second opinion on.

I have 2 500GB WD caviar drives that were a single, non-boot, RAID 0 array in a previous computer awhile back. I now need some of the data that was on them, so I plugged them into the new computer (Asus M4A79XTD EVO)

The RAID controller recognizes both of the drives individually and I can designate them as an array, but if I designate Fast Init as "On" it warns me that this will delete the MBR on the disks. Will this affect the data I'm trying to get at? Or is it ok to leave Fast Init off?

Thanks!
    Athlon XP 1700+ tbredB 2400MHz @ 2v
    1.25GB PC3200
    ATI Radeon 9700pro
    PNY GeForce 3 Ti-500 has found a new home but is still loved 11014 3DMarks|OC3D
    Abit NF7-S
    D-Tek TC-4 water cooling
    proudly folding for team 32!!!
    Avatar made as small as possible to save bandwidth
    Member of the рс fan club :p

deleting the MBR will not By itelf delete all the data. But the MBR can hold the partitioning stuff. it still could make it inaccessable.

re-setting the raid0 it is helpfull to be on the same raid device that had it assembled, and with the exact same stripe size, and even partition size, and in the same order it was in originally (port0 port1)
    which some raid can keep it ordered even if the ports are switched.

if the data is really hugely important, putting it on the original would be the only safest thing.
    if there was no partitioning, you still have the stripe size and stripe order to concider.

There are times when i had to re-assemble back on the SAME device after having broke it in the bios, luckily i had all the parameters for everything written down, I reassembled it exactally as it was , and it even told me It would "Destroy all my data". but i got everything back the way it was with nary a single missing bit.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...l/vdtkfmt.html
    oh boy that was real helpfull they both sound like a terrible way to secure your old data :-)

good luck.
    Last edited by Psycogeec; 09-27-10 at 03:49 AM.