• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]AMD Phenom II X2 560 BE Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD Phenom II X2 560 BE Review
by (splat)

560_IMG_2898-300x225.jpg

Processors with unlocked multipliers are sort of like the Holy Grail of overclocking. AMD’s Black Edition (BE) chips, similar to the Intel K series, offer this versatility to enthusiasts. Recently, AMD introduced several new processors and one of these is the Phenom II X2 560 BE. This is just a small increase in stock multiplier above the existing Phenom II X2 555 BE processor (16.5 vs. 16) and a small increase in price ($105 vs. $88), but the silicon should be stronger which should result in better overclocking and core unlocking.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Digg | Reddit | StumbleUpon

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the multi for the 555 BE wrong. It should say 16, not 15. Otherwise, nice article.

I just built my new rig around this chip.

I bought the AMD 560 on PR sale @ Fry's for $80! I popped it into my new ASUS CROSSHAIR IV Formula mobo($195)and it unlock a 3rd core, so I have an x3 B60 CPU core. What's great about my piece of silicon is, I've have it at 4.2Ghz @1.40v. Yes, 4.2Ghz @ 1.4 volts running Sandra Lite & Prime 95 no problems for 2 hours (temps 42-45c)!

I must be really selfish, because I wanted the 4th core to unlock, but now, I realize it's more important to have a solid chip that overclocks higher and at lower voltages. I currently have a Zalman copper 9700 which is an okay average cooler, got it brand new for $20 mounted with IC 7 Carat paste. When I get my Lian Li B71 rig($150) complete with additional/better cooling fans and a good CPU cooler, I'll run my OC tests.

I say the deal/value with this AMD Phenom II x2 560 BE is EXCELLENT... would of been OUSTANDING if the 4th core unlock. I know I'll be able to run this 560 running 4.5Ghz in the future.

Very Happy :bday:

"but benchmarks never lie…"

I've alreays been of the opinion that there are lies, damn lies, statistics, and THEN benchmarks.

:D :D :D

Yea, nothing like getting nice benchmark score increases, then opening up your games and getting the same FPS :rock:

Well...benchmark scores are measured in the thousands typically. Games are measured in the dozens, if that. It's harder to increase one FPS than it is 100 points. FWIW.

Well...benchmark scores are measured in the thousands typically. Games are measured in the dozens, if that. It's harder to increase one FPS than it is 100 points. FWIW.
That's why I always try to look at them in terms of percent increase/decrease between scores. It keeps me more focused on what is actually happening rather than getting stuck in that numbers game. "Oh, look, those settings gave me 100 points more than those other settings!"

(Yeah, 100 out of 20,000 - big deal. There's more error in the test than that! :rolleyes: )

Back