• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Important Build buy runthrough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshhua5

Hello,

I need someone to run through a Build for a great friend of mine, She's spending a fair amount on this so i can't afford to have anything go wrong.
Now It's starting from sratch and she wants her data to be unloseable along and had the camera from webcam so on..

I've currently picked out

2x 500gb
2x 1tb Hdd
2X 4gb DDR3
1X asus M4A89GTD Pro
1X AM3 x4 965
1x Corsair TX850
1X Antec Dark Fleet DF-85
1X Asus 5770
1X BenQ DW240S
1X Creative PCI-E Titanium
1x PCI-E TP-Link WN781ND
1x Corsair H70
1x coolmaster cm storm
1x Logitech G15
3x LG e2040T 20" LED

The plan for the data is 2x 500gb and 1x 1tb hdd in raid 10, she also wants to have the ability to play Good games and a lot of multitasking.
It all seems okay from first sight, there's a lot of planning time, can you people see anything wrong with what I've chosen?

I dont see why 8GB...

If she is a gamer, you should bring more than a 5770 to teh table.

If she overclocking? If not, why the H70? In fact, why the H70 anyway? Why not good air for less?

You also have incredible too much PSU. A proper 450W would run what you have. But to give some headroom, a proper 650W is all thats needed.

The Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB series HDD are pretty sturdy themselves and very low failure rates. And if she also wants to do alot of multitasking, I'd suggest throwing in a SSD drive for the OS.

I'd replace the 5770 with the gtx460 1gb Cyclone or Hawk series.. But that's just my preference over nVIDIA.

And what ED said :p

6gb RAM is way enough for any casual + gaming needs
And if you're not OCing even a H50 is enough for half the price.

Okay well the 5770 because she doesn't play the demanding games and the Ram is because look at how things are going, she wants it to last. future proof, no SSD because of price XD and I'm moving down to the H50.

Okay well the 5770 because she doesn't play the demanding games and the Ram is because look at how things are going, she wants it to last. future proof, no SSD because of price XD and I'm moving down to the H50.

Well, for RAM currently 2gb is pretty minimum, 4gb is the present optimum for any application and gaming use, and 6gb is already killing and future proof for the next several years. IMO I'd prefer a fast low latency RAM over just more RAM.

Im confused now. You said, "she wants to play good games". I guess your good and mine are different. A 5770 is no better performance wise than a GTX 260 216 it just has DX11 which it wont be able to run very well as newer games come out and less spower consumption. You said she wanted it to last and Im afraid that 5770 wont last unless our definition of last are different as well. She also has 2 monitors (I assume at 1680x1050 so 3360x1050) and that 5770 wont cut it at that res with games now really none the less the future.

Lets do this. What is her budget and let me build something for you with the client's needs listed in your first post.

Drop the power supply down to a 650tx and move down to 4GB use the savings from that to get a SSD. Why 4 hard drives?

As EarthDog said, the 5770 is rather weak, even in terms of future proofing. I would definitely give the video card a bump up.

Make sure you get some WD Blacks for the OS drive. Better read/write.

Her budject is Around 2,000 but it's needs everything even a hd webcam.

I've gone down to 2 monitors. and the Coolmaster Hyper 212+
DW about OS

AMD X4 965 ($160)
4GB DDR3 1600 CAS7 Gksill ripjaws ($95)
Asus M4A89GTD Pro ($150)
GTX 460 1GB ($220)
Corsair 650TX ($90)
2x 500GB WD Caviar Black ($120 total)
1TB WD Caviar black ($90)

= $925 USD.

The rest you have figured out. But again, I dont understand since you didnt mention overclocking why your are pouring in $80 into a watercooler... stock air is fine or if you are concerned, get cheap air like that hyper 212+...

Last edited:
The rest you have figured out. But again, I dont understand since you didnt mention overclocking why your are pouring in $80 into a watercooler... stock air is fine or if you are concerned, get cheap air like that hyper 212+...

He did mention he dropped down to a CM Hyper 212+ from the post above your's :p

Definitely need to drop that 5770 and get a better video card imo.. I mean put an extra $100 on it and you'll be alot better off with a 5850/5870.

Last edited:
The plan for the data is 2x 500gb and 1x 1tb hdd in raid 10

That doesn't make sense. You want at least 4 of the same drive if you really plan to run RAID 10. Also seems like a waste of effort and adds needless complexity. Just stick a 1-2TB drive in there and use an external to run regular backups. RAID won't protect you from data corruption or virus type stuff anyways.

That's why I asked why the 4 hard drives before doesn't make anymore sense now than it did then. Data should be backed up and taken off site if its really that important.

Back