• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Un-reviewed toys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@peeved kitten: the internet makes those gpm calculations SO easy

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=5+gallons+in+3min+12sec

just plug it into wolframalpha and you're done :D

nice job on that build, sounds like it's a monster.

Thanks M0r, my search fu was weak! :) I have been able to push the system to 4.3 with temps at full load being about 16-17c over ambient when running for 30+ minutes. With an ambient of 19 though my max temp is about 31c. I'm not sure but it seems to be able to keep the temps in the 30c range even if the ambient rises slightly.

With furmark/p95 on a 30 minute cycle to temp test, my max core temp was 30c and my max gpu temp was 77c at 4.2 I don't have screenies of the test at 4.3 at work.

2010103142ghz30cstable3.jpg

Does a car radiator have barbs or do you need to do major surgery to make one work?

Guess Rotary han't done much under the hood work yet..................

His rad he has is awesome, Mybe you could look it up to see it.

Does a car radiator have barbs or do you need to do major surgery to make one work?

I was just saying in general. It would be funny if anyone attempted

Barbs?!?!? We don't need no stinking barbs!!!

Kidding aside barbs are NOT required. 1/2" tubing is a nice, snug fit over the bare 1/2" copper nipple on the HC. One screw clamp on it and it's not going anywhere. The best part is you don't get the added restriction of a barb, either! :)

Three machines, four years, and five heater cores - no barbs, no leaks. :attn:

PS
Think about it. When you buy the heater core the nipples that are there to hook up to the car's coolant system don't have flanges or barbs built into them. You install the HC into the car and attach a 1/2" rubber heater hose using a single screw clamp. There it stays for the next 4-5 years operating outside, usually near 16 PSI and over 85°C. Anything we give them is nowhere close to that kind of abuse. Is it a little harder to put 1/2" tubing over bare copper pipe than over a barb? Of course it is - but it's not any worse than putting 7/16" tubing over a 1/2" barb ... :shrug:

Last edited:
Meaning a car radiator with a 2" OD fitting, not a heater core..

I'm not hating on the heater cores, no worries, LOL.
Didn't catch the switch! So many people intermix "heater core" and "rad" (including me sometimes!) that I just didn't catch on. LOL at me!

Yeah, some car radiators require major surgery - even from my viewpoint - to use as a computer rad. And it's too bad (from a PC perspective) that most of them are aluminum. Of course, you can always start putting heater cores together. Eventually it'll be as big as a radiator and often costs less ... :)

Didn't catch the switch! So many people intermix "heater core" and "rad" (including me sometimes!) that I just didn't catch on. LOL at me!

Yeah, some car radiators require major surgery - even from my viewpoint - to use as a computer rad. And it's too bad (from a PC perspective) that most of them are aluminum. Of course, you can always start putting heater cores together. Eventually it'll be as big as a radiator and often costs less ... :)

yea, but then you've gotta start to worry about restriction...

Having built performance cars/bikes a heater core or car rad mod would be stupid simple. I don't have the time though, and I would also use a turbo intercooler over a rad if I was DIYing. Honestly though, my next mods will be a chipsets block with a second pump. I may buy a formula IV extreme board at some point. My wife is building out her pc and I may give her the formula.

Car radiators just require $5 in adaptors and a short length of car radiator hose. Nothing serious :D

Car radiators just require $5 in adaptors and a short length of car radiator hose. Nothing serious :D

Yes, but you still have to mount it and deal with the space requirements/cooling. I'm not sure everyone's better halves are as willing as mine to give the computer a 6'x6' footprint lol. I'm pretty happy with the 1080, I only paid like 115 for it and it performs very well. With another pump in sequence I think it will be even better.

yea, but then you've gotta start to worry about restriction...
Not really. Six HCs with three in series down each bank and the two banks running parallel wouldn't be that much restriction. It would probably be more than a car radiator but I'd bet about the same as two triple rads in series. Running in parallel really reduces restriction and the efficiency to some extent - but a 17x21x2" thick wall of heater cores doesn't need to be extremely efficient. ;)

You know, as much as I've used tubing as an adapter of sorts you'd think I would have considered a radiator hose ... :bang head

You know, as much as I've used tubing as an adapter of sorts you'd think I would have considered a radiator hose ... :bang head

Don't you start... "You need 2" ID hose on any WC loop".

Still, running a big radiator outside would be great. Untill the summer when my outside ambients are 110F.......... CPU no workie.

I really want to buy a big auarium chiller with a big res, buy a $700 heat exchanger set in a 25 gallon sealed tank. Pump the heat to another room. Wife said no way, pumping the heat to her craft room was a no-go.

I really want to buy a big auarium chiller with a big res, buy a $700 heat exchanger set in a 25 gallon sealed tank. Pump the heat to another room. Wife said no way, pumping the heat to her craft room was a no-go.

Get her into pottery then bill it as a kiln :D

Don't you start... "You need 2" ID hose on any WC loop".

Still, running a big radiator outside would be great. Untill the summer when my outside ambients are 110F.......... CPU no workie.
LOL! No, I'm pretty sold on the heater cores - but the mind is always ticking away, though it smokes more now than it used to. :p

Maybe she would change her mind for winter - but you may need to drop the thermostat a bit. "Hey, honey, let's save a little on the heating bill this winter, shall we?" :D

And there's a bonus. Her production of crafts (quilts, artwork, whatever) will go up - fewer Christmas presents to buy! ;)

Back