• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu monitor for upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced

I remember reading or hearing about a program that Windows has built in that will monitor your cpu and can help you decide if you need to upgrade or not. I assume by what percentage of the cpu is used on average. I dont remember what this was called. Can anyone tell me where this might be, or even another monitor that will do the same thing?

In windows 7's control panel, the 'performance info and tools' lists your ratings. I get an overall of 3.1 but I don't care as I don't use aero nor the wdm.
Other than that try MS.
And yes, in 7's task scheduler it does monitor these things, all of which I have disabled for the most part.

Last edited:
Hm, I should have mentioned that I was talking about Windows XP, not 7. I think it was in the MMC but I have an nLited version of XP and I dont think I have MMC anymore.

If you want to take details metrics over time you can use the performance monitor in WinXP. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Performance. You can add all different metrics to the list and have it dump recordings to log files.

The tool feels pretty antiquated though. This is one area where Win7 made a decent improvement.

Back