• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Corsair AX1200 is AMAZING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

My IRONMODS teammate "CPT.Planet" (who works at Corsair) just finished up some PSU tests with a full rig.....the AX1200 PSU performed tremendously.....

I've been using one on my benching rig for the last few months as well, but I have not had a chance to stress mine like this, but it's good to know that it's possible :rock:

http://blog.corsair.com/?p=4264

CPT.Planet said:
The maximum power draw seen with this test was an impressive 1489 (!) watts, while the lowest was 1356 watts. The power supply was pulling over 1400 watts for ten minutes while this test was run! At the AX1200’s rated efficiency of about 88% at full load, this means that the system was using an average of 1232 watts over this ten minute period, and peaked at over 1300 watts.

impressive that it could maintain it's efficiency even beyond the rated spec load
very nice PSU. any idea if all of the AXxxx series will be of that quality?

I wonder if the PSU's life is shortened running it at such high wattage??

Time will tell.

Hell's yeah! Thats what all the other reviews said! Only thing better is sliced bread!

Off topic.. but even the monster UD9 is made to look puny with those 480s on top of it... :shock:

It would be nice working for Corsair and having access (on the cheap) to their amazing hardware <-- green with envy. :cool:

I guess a career in finance is not the best way to get access into top tier PC components

:D

I guess a career in finance is not the best way to get access into top tier PC components

:D

Which is why I dropped out of Accounting and Finance on the 3rd year of college :(..

Back on topic.. I have always heard those AX series were beast.. but now seeing that article it's monster lol!
But I'll never see myself with 4x GTX480.. 2 of them is already overkill in my rig x_x..
So crazy how it's powering that entire set up though..

One thing that I found weird was the way they used those SLI bridges to connect all 4 GTX480s.. Isn't there like a 4way SLI bridge? I know my mobo came with a 3way bridge..

LOL, I hadn't even noticed. Yes, there is a 4-way bridge....I'm going to have to bust his balls over using that ghetto setup for his blog :D

LOL, I hadn't even noticed. Yes, there is a 4-way bridge....I'm going to have to bust his balls over using that ghetto setup for his blog :D

Lol.. yea I found it hilarious though. It's like alot more trouble connecting it like that :rofl:

It's pretty quiet IMO ;)

I'm glad to see that. I've seen a couple youtube vids of that fan on the ax1200 squealing very loudly. However, most users report an effortless RMA process through Corsair. I suppose you're going to have a few bad units out of 1,000's of good ones.

A question for any AX1200 owner: Where is the fan located?

On the Corsair website, it would appear that it's on the top of the PSU. However, I've seen a couple builds that look like it's on the bottom. I would prefer it being on the bottom, since I'm using an 800D and is has an opening directly beneath the PSU bay. Also, is it an exhaust or intake fan?

A question for any AX1200 owner: Where is the fan located?

On the Corsair website, it would appear that it's on the top of the PSU. However, I've seen a couple builds that look like it's on the bottom. I would prefer it being on the bottom, since I'm using an 800D and is has an opening directly beneath the PSU bay. Also, is it an exhaust or intake fan?

Intake. It's wherever you want. The standard PSU mount is reversible. You can put it right side up or upside down. Doesn't matter. Screws in either way. Put your current PSU in upside down and you'll see how it still screws in... if you're bored..

I always put them upside down if the PSU is on the bottom so no screws can fall in the PSU and drive me crazy trying to fish them out. Most cases have a riser for it to sit on even if there's no ventillation, there's 2" of space for the fan to draw air into the PSU. Since most high efficiency PSUs run cool the amount of air they need to draw in these days is very minimal.

Back