• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Self-study for Network+ cert.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sec+ and Net+ have a lot of similarities. That is why I am taking mine a few months after Sec+. I recommend you start studying Sec+ right away. Don't let time go by and you forget stuff.

I wouldn't say "a lot." Network+ just happens to have a section on Network security. Makes sense to. CompTIA actually recommends doing Net+ prior to Security+ :rolleyes:

a big thumbs up for cbt nuggets. i took their net+ and sec+ and got my ccna with them. excellent coverage of material and explanation of topics. well worth the time and money.

just giving a big :thup: for CBT nuggets, love them, they have excellent material for everything Ive studied for from them. Currently have their Exchange 2010 package around here somewhere that I need to get to at some point. Just great stuff hands down.

Congrats to SteveLord & Headstand :thup:

Just wanted to share additional free resources I found:

Professor Messer - Free Network+ Video Training (videos feed from Youtube):
http://www.professormesser.com/free...comptia-network-certification-training-course

MC MCSE - Network+ Study Guide (N10-004):
http://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/network/N10004_study_guide.shtml

If anyone used any of the above and can give some feedback that would be great :)
Also heard about LabSims (lab simulation software), will they help a lot for self-study as well??

Passed with 864.

Taking a break the rest of the year. Will look into MCITP stuff in 2011.

Passed Network+ yesterday with a score of 802!

I did about 3 weeks of studying. Originally planned to take it on Black Friday but moved it up two weeks because I wanted to be able to put the certification on my resume by the job application deadline.

Thank you all again who provided advice and resources. I just bought my Security+ by Darril Gibson book last night from Amazon, so that will be taken next before year end.

Passed Network+ yesterday with a score of 802!

I did about 3 weeks of studying. Originally planned to take it on Black Friday but moved it up two weeks because I wanted to be able to put the certification on my resume by the job application deadline.

Thank you all again who provided advice and resources. I just bought my Security+ by Darril Gibson book last night from Amazon, so that will be taken next before year end.

Congrats man. Hope you get the job!

I have my CCENT scheduled for Wednesday!! /bitenails

No worries man; it's pretty easy. The labs are pretty fun though:D

I'm about to schedule my ICND2 sometime soon. I'm a week or so away from finishing my study material for it.

As far as I understand it, the ICND1 has minimal command line configurations and the majority of the configuration is done via the SDM. That's a huge relief to me because I was sweating the configs a lot.

Brian

Passed with 864.

Taking a break the rest of the year. Will look into MCITP stuff in 2011.

i am working on my MCITP now. my company pays for my exams and they also give us bonuses for passing exams. i just took to 70-640 exam like 3 weeks ago and after reading the book and going through a practice exam, i passed with plenty of room to spare. i'm now studying for the 70-642 now. so far, there really isn't anything i didn't learn in college in the 70-642 besides ipv6 but we'll see as i get further into the book :D

my company have a huge push for microsoft certs right now because microsoft is changing the way the determine who is a certified gold partner. instead of being a certified partner across the board for all microsoft products, they are breaking it down into many categories on which you can become a gold certified partner. this requires companies to have more people certified in different areas but it can also help identify who is better suited to do certain tasks.

hehe nice.

I take my ICND2 tomorrow; wish me luck!

GOOD LUCK HOMESKILLET!

i am working on my MCITP now. my company pays for my exams and they also give us bonuses for passing exams. i just took to 70-640 exam like 3 weeks ago and after reading the book and going through a practice exam, i passed with plenty of room to spare. i'm now studying for the 70-642 now. so far, there really isn't anything i didn't learn in college in the 70-642 besides ipv6 but we'll see as i get further into the book :D

my company have a huge push for microsoft certs right now because microsoft is changing the way the determine who is a certified gold partner. instead of being a certified partner across the board for all microsoft products, they are breaking it down into many categories on which you can become a gold certified partner. this requires companies to have more people certified in different areas but it can also help identify who is better suited to do certain tasks.

Good to know! Thanks.

I'm holding off on that till next year. From what I've read, the 70-680 for Windows 7 is no joke. I've seen some of that through practice questions already. But I've also heard that Server 2008 experience is very helpful.

techexams.net has a ton of resources and is very active.

Last edited:
Back