• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Self-study for Network+ cert.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I need to get my network+ cert before the end of the year. I've been reading a study book and am almost through it for a second time. I plan to re-read my book for a third time before I take the test.

Any tips from you guys would be great. A job promotion is in it for me.

Please post anything that you think might be helpful.:comp:

First off: congratulations for picking a cert that will inevitably make you proficient with, in my opinion, content that ensures you will have the most fun while earning a paycheck! Computer networking is awesome :rock:

As far as your concern goes you are doing what you should be doing. Studying the applicable material for your certification test. If I were to recommend anything to help you during your studies I would recommend CBT Nuggets. CBT Nuggets is a website that utilizes the top experts in many computer-related fields to create an array of extremely useful videos to aid in familiarization, proficiency, and a passing grade on your certification test. Most packages provided by CBT Nuggets cost a couple hundred bucks, but as you mentioned, this certification is for a promotion at work. I think spending a couple hundred bucks on these videos is worth the confidence you will have afterward toward passing your certification exam.

Here's the link to the Network+ CBT Nuggets package. Hope this helps!

Kisses,
Brian

First off, Network+ is probably one of the easiest, if not the easiest exam out there; don't sweat it too much.

I'd suggest reading an exam prep book and taking the practice tests over at examcollection.com. Take the practice exams, then re-read the applicable chapters in the book in the areas that you're weak in. You can get access to the vast collection of ebooks at books24x7.com if you're employed by the Military/DoD or if work for a company that offers accounts for it's members (my company does).

If either you've got big money to spend, or you are seriously doubtful in your ability to pass the exam, I could highly recommend Train Signal's Network+ exam prep. They also have some free videos here.

There are also some veryexcellent training material at vte.cert.org, however, you'll only be able to access this site if you have a .mil or .gov email, or you work for a company that holds government contracts. I highly recommend vte.cert.org if you are eligible for it; it's probably one of the best free training aids out there.

i my self have NET+ certification and i never studied for that test specifically.

You can get access to the vast collection of ebooks at books24x7.com if you're employed by the Military/DoD.

There are also some veryexcellent training material at vte.cert.org, however, you'll only be able to access this site if you have a .mil or .gov email, or you work for a company that holds government contracts. I highly recommend vte.cert.org if you are eligible for it; it's probably one of the best free training aids out there.

Hell yes, Templi! It's nice to be in the military when I get free certification training! Thanks a ton for this information!

Kisses,
Brian

I am doing a Net+ 1on1 bootcamp this week. Then Security+ in 2 weeks. All paid by my office. And yeah, I have the Army E-Learning / Books 24x7 as well. ;)

If you want actual books, check Amazon. There's a lot of good feedback on ones that are great or not so great.

Net+, Sec+ and Linux+ are probably the three best certs to get outside of the big boy ones (Cisco, MS, etc).. As silly as it is, get the A+ if you dont have it. More and more companies are requiring that for almost all IT positions even with 8+ years of experience(speaking from personal experience).

Once I go permanent with the company I am at now, I will be looking at the education reimbursement if available.

The Net+ is pretty easy, google around, there are free tests online and the books arent overly expensive.

Note, you can save a few bucks on exam vouchers by purchasing ones that expire soon. Google around.

Agreed on A+. Any regular on OCF should be able to knock it out fine, so do it if you can afford to.

a big thumbs up for cbt nuggets. i took their net+ and sec+ and got my ccna with them. excellent coverage of material and explanation of topics. well worth the time and money.

Although I am not the OP, thanks everyone for the responses. I have just decided to start studying for the Network+ and Security+ exam as well. I'm gathering my study resources so this thread is very helpful.

I already have my A+ but I took that ages ago (in 1999 when I was still a teenager). I'm more of an A+ kind of guy with a 4yr IS degree. Then after school I have 4 years working in an A+ type of setting for a small business. Do you guys think it will be doable for me to knock out the Net+ and Sec+ exams by the end of the year?? It took me 2 months of self-studying at BN/Borders/Library and practice exams to pass the A+ exam. I have a feeling N+ & S+ will take a bit more effort than that, plus I'm a little rusty with studying, haven't done it since college...

Study the CompTIA objectives, use flash cards, do a lot of practice exams.

www.proprofs.com has a lot of free resources

I originally took a Net+ course years ago and hated it. But now with 5 years in the industry behind me and I suppose the 2009 change, I am a lot more comfortable with it right up front.

Testing tomorrow. ;)

Passed. 835.

Was nervous as hell upon hitting END. Also finished it like 30min. I am not the kind to drag tests on.

Passed. 835.

Was nervous as hell upon hitting END. Also finished it like 30min. I am not the kind to drag tests on.

Congrats.

Word of advise though: Read the entire question and all choices before selecting an answer; even if you know the question right off the4 bat (especially if you know the answer right off the bat). Don't try to finish the test quickly, as it won't get you any extra points.

This is more applicable to Cisco and Microsoft tests, but CompTIA will likely employ the same measures sometime soon. Basically, after you take the exam, data on how long it took you to answer the questions is sent to the vendor to review. If it looks like you've memorized the test, then the vendor can un-pass you and make you take the exam again.

Taking time to read all the questions and answers carefully will also improve your score; many questions are written/worded in such a way that you really do need to re-read it in order to correctly answer it.

Congrats on passing. I take mine on Tuesday.

I was a little nervous taking Sec+ and nailed it, but that was paid by my employer. I had to pay for the Net+ myself, and I have been studying, but we will see in 3 days.

Thank you every one. I do have the A+ already. That's what got me my current job. No A+ no job. The Net+ is for a promotion so no Net+ no promotion.

I plan on getting more certs right away. Sec+ and then Cisco. I appreciate all of the input so than you again.

Congrats.

Word of advise though: Read the entire question and all choices before selecting an answer; even if you know the question right off the4 bat (especially if you know the answer right off the bat). Don't try to finish the test quickly, as it won't get you any extra points.

This is more applicable to Cisco and Microsoft tests, but CompTIA will likely employ the same measures sometime soon. Basically, after you take the exam, data on how long it took you to answer the questions is sent to the vendor to review. If it looks like you've memorized the test, then the vendor can un-pass you and make you take the exam again.

Taking time to read all the questions and answers carefully will also improve your score; many questions are written/worded in such a way that you really do need to re-read it in order to correctly answer it.

Yes, 1 or 2 words can immediately eliminate 2 answers usually. To clarify, I was through the 100 questions in 30 min, but I did take another 5-10 going over some that I marked. When I took my MCP/XP exam, it took longer...since Microsoft likes to tell stories.

Back