• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asking 5770 Crossfire Vs gtx 460 1gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laoag24

Hello I'm about to purchase a new video card for my system. I want to know which of these two is better. 2x5770 1GB CrossfireX Or Gtx 460 1GB ?

Thank you.

definately the Crossfire 5770 i reckon :) the 460 is on about the same level as the 5770 or 5830 so 2 of them will be a considerably better. but if you were able to purchase the 460 and SLI it will definately beat crossfire 5850 :) but also remember the crossfire problems associated with some games and poor support for them.

definately the Crossfire 5770 i reckon :) the 460 is on about the same level as the 5770 or 5830 so 2 of them will be a considerably better. but if you were able to purchase the 460 and SLI it will definately beat crossfire 5850 :) but also remember the crossfire problems associated with some games and poor support for them.

So, there's alot of problems on 5770 crossfirex? could you kindly explain it please.

With Crossfire, obviously there are more parts so more chance of something going wrong. I am not a big fan of buying a second GFX card. If you dive into the forums here there are dozens of threads asking for SLI/Crossfire issues.

However, the majority of the time it works fine and shouldn't be a hassle. I'm just saying that with Crossfire there is more of a chance of something going wrong or not in your favour. For example, you would need to buy a new PSU to cope with the Amps required by the card or having one of the cards not working properly. But like i said.... I am basically splitting hairs here. Purchase both your cards and they should be fine, if not have them RMA'd :)

Furthermore, while the performance of 2 cards is going to be better than a single card, some games have very poor support for dual cards. Depending on systems, when i had Crossfire back in the day, some games i would only achieve maybe like a 40% frame boost. Also my friends computer with SLI running Just Cause 2 cannot play in full screen because tearing occurs. Most new modern games should work fine with it though, just don't instantly expect a 100% increase on frame rates.

All in all, the are problems with both. I don't think i explained myself right. The problems for Crossfire also occur with SLI. BUT like i said... its all slim pickings here. Im just being critical :) Hope i didn't turn you off crossfire/SLI

Big problems? simple answer: in rare cases such as 1 card not function etc... not many though. If somethings wrong return it :)

A lot of problems? If you get nitty gritty there might be some issues with drivers, that kind of stuff however an upgrade should help you out :) You might need to disable CF for some games, just that kind of stuff.

Hope I helped out :)

ide say the GTX460. ive ran both cards in my current PC.. the 460 has alot higher frame per second. and i only have the 768mb one.

and my freind has the same system basically ( same CPU / ram HDD .. just the xfire version mobo) with x2 HIS HD 5770's
and i score higher on 3dmark.

so ide say the 1gb 460 would be the best option.

Last edited:
of course you do, AMD (ATi) cards get raped in the physx section by nVidia cards :) due to the fact that nVidia have acquired Aegia! single cards the 460 and if you want 2 cards. SLI 460. not much more to it is there?

ide say the GTX460. ive ran both cards in my current PC.. the 460 has alot higher frame per second. and i only have the 768mb one.

and my freind has the same system basically ( same CPU / ram HDD .. just the xfire version mobo) with x2 HIS HD 5770's
and i score higher on 3dmark.

so ide say the 1gb 460 would be the best option.

@Theivan: Could you please tell me the benchmark gap between 2x 5770 and gtx460?

Mobo: MSI 890fxa-gd70
Cpu: AMD Phenom X6 1050T at 3.5ghz
Gpu: 2x Sapphire 5770
Memory: Gskill 4GB
Cooler: Noctua-NHD14

I was just wondering if I could add a Geforce physx card on my system, would that be possible?

Mobo: MSI 890fxa-gd70
Cpu: AMD Phenom X6 1050T at 3.5ghz
Gpu: 2x Sapphire 5770
Memory: Gskill 4GB
Cooler: Noctua-NHD14

I was just wondering if I could add a Geforce physx card on my system, would that be possible?

its possible and i think thers some threads about it.
but not worth it just for physx

Both sli and cf are cool and fast if you have time to learn them. read,patch,special win updates.
Once you know what your doing you will stay with CF or SLI.
When you get stuck there is little advanced help on this form.
Because the people that are trying to help dont run CF there answers only make things worse.
If you want to game non stop go with a single card.
If you want to learn or Bench and have the best eye candy go for sli or cf.
Ran 78,79,88gtx,88gt in sli Got 4890 cf blew card last week.

Back