• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blizz smites sc2 hackers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

http://kotaku.com/5665407/blizzard-suing-starcraft-ii-cheat-makers

I love this. Funny some of the comments are defending the hackers saying they shouldn't sue them blizz has enough money. I think people don't get it. What's the best way to hurt someone? Take their money...

This i think is great for the most part. I hope they succeed in nailing these morons. Cheating in some games which were great games but I just got so sick of policing cheaters (like css etc) that i just quit playing.

It's good to see someone has the balls to try and smite morons.

Awesome, glad to hear they nailed that down. Now they just need to 'smite' spammers in WoW and I will be absolutely ecstatic.

Awesome, glad to hear they nailed that down. Now they just need to 'smite' spammers in WoW and I will be absolutely ecstatic.

What... you don't like those orcs in Org floating in mid-air spelling the url of their phishing site? Natural selection working at its best for every person those spammers get lol =/

I mean this is for the most part why I stick to blizz games I tried quitting wow so many times. But they just seem to do the best job keeping morons out. Only thing i can really complain about is the spammers. Even then that don't bug me to much heck it's much worse on the f2p mmos then wow. Least when i played allods for a while it was.

So a publisher filing suit against hackers = good. Publisher filing suit to protect their IP from pirates = bad. I think the ******** is mighty thick in the world we live in.

So a publisher filing suit against hackers = good. Publisher filing suit to protect their IP from pirates = bad. I think the ******** is mighty thick in the world we live in.
I'm fairly sure that this is the only way they could really sue them. Otherwise, what would they use as an argument?

While I am not the most versed in the legal terminology used for this case I feel like a win for this case is suggesting that any modification to the game could have anybody sued depending on what papa blizz thinks of their mod. Also the lawsuit just sounds too broad in definition...and they are suing 2 Canadians and a Peruvian in a LA court? Maybe somebody could enlighten me as to how this will accomplish anything.

In any event I do not condone cheating and wish cheaters and hackers would keep it to single player.

Hmm, mod makers watchout! It seems this train of though could be used against them as well.

I doubt they will go against mods since those don't harm the game at all. These were used to cheat.

Tinfoil hats are coming out I see. I highly doubt they would come after modders that make things to improve on the games. I mean come on people they are going after hackers that looked to profit off cheats that ruined people's gameplay experience.

I'll wait for that day when blizz decides to just sue some nobody mod maker for X amount of money for improving the gameplay. When they don't like a mod they make it clear that's it's not usable.

Yes I know they are walking that line with their legal actions, but well how else should they do it? Drop the hammer!

Blizzard should go after other bot programmers like they did to Glider since the use of those 3rd party program encourages user to violate the user agreement (afk botting, excessive spamming, etc) If more of the bot programmers were sued, it'd scare other small scale bot programs out of business.

Suing Chinese farmers and spammer is a different story. I do have fun with them. I always send them multiple rapid whisper (each spammer if it's multiple body spam) with terms that are illegal in China like "tienanmen square massacre 1989" and "free tibet" The Chinese spammer isn't likely to take the time to report me for harassment.

The spammer almost always log out within a minute of those spamming. And once I caught the floating body so early that half logged out before the rest came over to complete spelling the scamming site.

i don't understand how the eula applies to hack makers. Do they have to install sc2 in order to hack it?

Hmm, mod makers watchout! It seems this train of though could be used against them as well.

Not really. Not when Blizzard is PROVIDING everyone who buys the game with the game editor.

It wouldn't stand up in court.

But you can't SELL a mod... because that mod would be a derivative property under copyright law and THEN blizzard could sue.

Starcraft is big BIG money in parts of europe but especially Asia. People gamble on it. There are mafias involved... fights can be fixed... It's tricky now as you can't just play on a lan now and you have to sign in to Blizzard to play multiplayer.

It's best to keep it as legit as possible. Last thing you need is six russians knocking on your door at 3am...

While I hate hackers, I also hate the ruling that makes this lawsuit possible. I think idea that copying something you own into ram is illegal is ridiculous.

I doubt they will go against mods since those don't harm the game at all. These were used to cheat.

The problem is when you create judicial precedent you don't necessarily have a say in who gets screwed later from the ruling: http://www.eff.org/cases/blizzard-v-bnetd

I think its good/entirely reasonable when companies protect their IP. I think its bad when they use creative judicial tricks to accomplish it. I don't fault blizzard; really its the fault of judicial system/lawmakers which fail to keep pace with technology.

I have been trying to find a diagram of corporate suits in the last month that shows literally every company in Silicon Valley suing each other for patent infringement or improper royalty based intellectual property deals (Rambus comes to mind...). The bad economy is making more companies sue for intellectual property rather than spend money in R&D to create new IPs. Maybe its time for me to become a lawyer and join a firm in Delaware...

Back