Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[O/C]AMD Radeon 6000 Series, Llano, Set to Debut

O ATI, ATI, wherefore art thou ATI?

A cheap Shakespearean knock-off reference doesn’t really do justice to the way AMD has positioned itself currently with the pending Radeon 6000 series release along with its line of ”Llano” APUs… But then, I’m not really much of a writer, and this ain’t no renaissance. AMD has closed the book on its successful history with ATI branding by recently folding ATI into the AMD name as one in the same. In doing so, the dramatic timing and importance of this shift is AMD making a statement that should not go discounted. They are saying… AMD is bold. AMD is confident. AMD is ready to ring in a new era changing the landscape upon which the game is played.

... Return to article to continue reading.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 10-19-10 at 02:08 AM.

Registered
    Niceee... the design of the card is beautiful. Wayyy ahead the 5000 series, expecially the front grille, much more appealing than the two childish intake holes.

hm... i believe AMD have sort of gone backwards with this new series. I dont understand this refreshed cards stuff. Would have really been excited if they built the 6 series from the bottom up. but if it brings the 5 series price down, doesnt worry me. LOL Loo, looks arent always everything though...

Registered
    Yeppp Cuiiey, I know looks aren't everything I just like their new industrial design approach...
    I want the same as you, a price drop, so I can get another 5870 to DIVEEE into framerate

I think you'll be fairly happy once we can talk numbers. If you like the 6850/6870 will really depend on where the prices land - they are targeted at hitting a certain price/performance level, and if that balance is right for each individual will determine the reception they get once you see the numbers. These cards are not intended for breaking new performance levels at the very top end, which essentially means they are fleshing out the price/performance options you have in the upper mainstream GPU market. Again, I don't know how well people will like it until they see the price and the performance, but I expect it to be an alright reception for these cards specifically.

If you are looking for something more, AMD has not forgotten you. They have things planned for the enthusiasts, but again we can't say exactly until we can talk numbers and the primary channel reviews drop. I expect it to be well received by our crew, and it will likely fill some of the desires I've heard people expressing in response to these 68XX cards.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Great to have a new series coming out, but I think AMD are completely off their rocker if the 6870 isn't faster than the 5870.
    HTPC - 2500k - 212+ - GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 - Vertex 2 90GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB w/M4 64GB ISRT Cache - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone LC10B-E - Corsair RM550

-----
    Main - X3 450 - ASRock A790GMH/128M 790GX - 2x2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 - 2xWD Green 1TB - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone TJ08 - Corsair CX400W

Nothin' up my sleeve..

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

If the 6850 spanks a 460 768MB by 30% (which should put it in the ballpark of a 470, but these are internal AMD numbers) and comes in at $200. Wowzas.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=657775

@ IMOG. Does overclockers.com have a sample of these cards for review?
    Last edited by EarthDog; 10-19-10 at 12:11 PM.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by Cuiiey View Post
    hm... i believe AMD have sort of gone backwards with this new series. I dont understand this refreshed cards stuff. Would have really been excited if they built the 6 series from the bottom up. but if it brings the 5 series price down, doesnt worry me. LOL Loo, looks arent always everything though...
    I think you should view it as a sort of side project aimed at killing off nvidia for now. This new series should raise the bar for performance / $ ratio and will also be a good learning exercise for ATI. Considering the 4xx series has just recently come out from nvidia ATI still seem to be leading and I don't see how this could be called a backwards step at all.
    MB: Gigabyte P55 - UD4P
    CPU: Intel i5 750 @ 4ghz on air (Thermaltake FRIO)
    RAM: G.Skill RipJaws PC10660 @ 1600mhz 8 8 8 24 2T
    HDD: 2x WD Caviar Black 640 RAID0
    GFX: Sapphire HD5770 Core: 960 Mem: 1450
    PSU: Corsair 750HX
    MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920 x 1080
    CASE: Coolermaster CM690

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
    Great to have a new series coming out, but I think AMD are completely off their rocker if the 6870 isn't faster than the 5870.
    It's been confirmed now that the 6870 isn't the successor to the 5870, that'll be the 6970 Supposedly the 6850 is aimed at beating the 460 768MB, and the 6870 at beating the 1GB :O

Also, can't wait to see the 6970 specs! Roll on November!
    Steam ID: Deftee~

Half-Built Build: (awaiting payday!)
    Rampage III Extreme | i7 930 @4GHz w/ Titan Fenrir Evo
    120GB OCZ Vertex 2E | 1TB WD Caviar Black
    GTX 460 768MB (Temp) | 6GB Corsair XMS3
    Silverstone FT02-R-WRI | Corsair AX850W

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    @ IMOG. Does overclockers.com have a sample of these cards for review?
    Yes.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Damn the NDA.... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

When does the NDA lift? 10/22?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make any statements regarding that topic, so I'd rather play it safe and say nothing.

I can say however we are in communication with AMD regarding the sample, and we won't be the first to publish benchmarks or reviews, pending some details being worked out that are outside of our planning and control.
    The OC Forums Way

Well done! Great read, I loled, way to make it interesting!

14. Thanks!

I.M.O.G. (10-19-10)

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make any statements regarding that topic, so I'd rather play it safe and say nothing.

I can say however we are in communication with AMD regarding the sample, and we won't be the first to publish benchmarks or reviews, pending some details being worked out that are outside of our planning and control.
    Great to hear that we have a sample card for review! Though it's a shame that we can't be the first to publish; would have been some nice publicity for the site.

Great writeup IMOG! Hopefully you made it out of the barnyard...
    (I kid.. hehe)
    CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.6GHz
    MOBO: EVGA Z77 FTW
    GPU: Crossfire: AMD HD6970 @1000/1450 + AMD HD6950(unlocked)
    RAM: 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    PSU: Corsair HX850 Gold
    Cooling: (CPU) Watercooled with BIXII, EK Supreme, and D5 Laing

Ridin' with the King

HEATWARE

I'm glad overclockers.com have one ready! Can't wait to see the benchmarks!
    Steam ID: Deftee~

Half-Built Build: (awaiting payday!)
    Rampage III Extreme | i7 930 @4GHz w/ Titan Fenrir Evo
    120GB OCZ Vertex 2E | 1TB WD Caviar Black
    GTX 460 768MB (Temp) | 6GB Corsair XMS3
    Silverstone FT02-R-WRI | Corsair AX850W

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

So answer this after the NDA is lifted...

Is(Was when you reply) the sample you have borked and thats why we wont be able to publish when it lifts Friday?

In the future, my answer will be (was when I reply) that details outside of our planning and control lead to the sample not being in our hands yet.
    The OC Forums Way

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Booooo and here I was picturing some behind the scenes 3 Stooges shens (from ocf)!!! Thanks for that!

Cointenly! Whoop whoop whoop! Wiseguy ehh?!!!

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

In the future, my answer will be (was when I reply) that details outside of our planning and control lead to the sample not being in our hands yet.
    Sounds like a lawyer already...as clear as mud

Pretty sure I'm going to want one... *sigh*

The wife will hate me one day~!
    System: Darkside
    CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1090T Thuban BE @ 4.2 ghz 27c max temp
    Cooling: EK supreme LT MCP655 Bitspower 150 inline RES magicool 1080 extreme radiator
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula BIOS 1209
    Video cards: MSI AMD 6970 950/1450mhz @ 61c max temp
    Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws 8-8-8-22-31 @ 1600 8GB (4x2gb DIMMs)
    Hard-drives: Adata 32GB SSD Startup Drive 500GB Western Digital Black Data drive.
    Power supply: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W

My Mentor told me: It means unless you move the computer, I have to move programs. What you did is good thing.

Rather than explain I think I will rewrite the programs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast