• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosie RAC Harvest V2! Status Thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Howdy All! This thread is for discussion of the contest, and status updates!

The Rosie RAC Harvest is an event that we hold each year to help forward science along a bit quicker and to give us a boost in the World Points Standings.
The sign up thread for this year's contest is HERE. You must be registered to be eligible for the prize draw at the end, so don't forget!
Last years event was the first, and was a great success thanks to our staple members and all who came out to give us a hand. We only had 41 entrants but here's a quick capture of we managed to accomplish:

Code:
[B][I][COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="4"]-RAC-[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[SIZE="3"][B]Team RAC on Nov 1st	               48,546	
Team RAC at beginning of contest	 78,539	
Team RAC at End of contest	        131,339	
Total RAC Increase                  82,793 WHOA! NICE WORK EVERYONE![/B][/SIZE]

Code:
[B][I][COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="4"]-TOTAL POINTS-[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[SIZE="3"][B]Team Total Points on Nov 1st	          29,061,694	
Team Total Points at beginning of contest    29,533,295	
Team Total Points at End of contest	   31,719,665	
Total Points Crunched                         2,186,370 SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP![/B][/SIZE]
Pretty friggin Impressive but I gotta be honest, this year I hope to blow those numbers out of the water!!!

Prize Pool

- 4 Guaranteed $50 Gift Certificates from PerformancePCs.com

- $50 Bonus Prize (UnLocked)

- $75 Bonus Prize (UnLocked)

- $75 Bonus Prize (Locked)

-$100 Bonus Prize (Locked)

Prize Sponsors

The generous team members who have stepped up to the plate so far to donate to the cause!

Molnarc - $100!
benbaked - $100!

Thank you very much guys!

Update Area!

Code:
[SIZE="3"]
[B][COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-15-Oct-10: [COLOR="Lime"]78,548[/COLOR][/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Contest Start:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]123,800[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Current:[/COLOR]  [COLOR="Cyan"]253,676[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Increase:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]129,876 in 27 days[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]RAC Position:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Cyan"]1st[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points-15-Oct-10:[COLOR="Lime"] 54,180,794[/COLOR][/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points-Contest Start:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]56,257,757[/COLOR]  
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points-Current:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]62,638,928[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points Crunched:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="Cyan"]6,381,171[/COLOR] in 27 days[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Points Position:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]21st[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Updated: [COLOR="Lime"]27-Nov-10 @ 18:30[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/B][/SIZE]

Event Goals

Our ultimate goal as a team is to reach the Top20 in the Total Points Standings before the end of year. This event and the event goals will be instrumental in getting us there.

The Event Goals this year are three fourfold(lol is that even a word?):

1. To reach 150,000 in team RAC. ($50 Gift Certificate) Achieved/Unlocked!

2. To crunch 5,000,000 in total points. ($75 Gift Certificate) Achieved/Unlocked!

3. To beat UK BOINC Team to the Top20. ($75 Gift Certificate)

4. To reach the Top20 in total points. ($100 Gift Certificate)

As each of these goals are reached, the corresponding bonus prize will be unlocked and added to the prize pool! Yep, the goals are pretty lofty this year, but I'm hoping the turnout will be much bigger!

Contest FAQ

Q: What 3rd Party Service does this contest use?
A: random.org

Q: How will I know if my name was entered in the draw?
A: The draw will be Entrant Accessible. A link will be posted after the draw is made where the entrant can go to confirm that their identifier was entered into the draw and whether or not it won.

Q: How many draws will there be?
A: Only one draw is made. The number of winners drawn equals the number of prizes. These draws cost a fair amount of money and it gets more expensive the more entries there are. It's much less expensive to do a single draw than 6 or 7. The winners of the $100 and $75 prizes (if unlocked) will be whoever is drawn in the #1 and #2 spots.

Q: Why do you use RAC categories to determine number of entries?
A: So that those who can't crunch as much still have a decent chance at winning a prize, and so that those who crunch more are rewarded with more entries but not enough to completely run away with it. Think of it as a lottery, only with a lot fewer contestants. Those with more entries will technically have a better chance of winning one of the prizes, but at the end of the day the results will still be randomized.

Q: Will my RAC category be recorded at the start or the end of the contest?
A: At the end. People will not be able to bring 20K RAC worth of power on line at the beginning of the contest and collect entries at their initial <1000RAC category rate. I don't consider this to be in the spirit of the contest, or the project. We urge all contestants to have Rosetta running and RAC somewhat stabilized prior to the event start so that your RAC category properly reflects the amount of crunching you will be doing throughout the contest. But remember, at the end of the day this project and this contest are about helping science along. The more you crunch the more you help.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a good chance to win a prize. Go grab yourself that new Heatsink or Waterblock you've been looking at. Or at least offset the cost significantly.

I'll have my 980x swapped over once i hit 1m in fah with it. Should be two or three days.
Might be able to hijack my dad's PhII 955 and brothers Ath64 4400+ x2 (939 yo!) and friend's PhII 810 x4. We'll see.
At the least it'll be 980x and my e5200 at around 3.2.
Should be something like 2500-3000RAC.

Should be more than that I'd think.
How far is the 980X going to be clocked?

Depends on what i do cooler wise, i've been running it at stock clocks undervolted to 1.056vcore so far. As things get colder i may turn it up for the space heater effect. It's a toasty little sucker, draws watts like @*#&$!

I'll be getting a new snazzy case soon, that'll help too.
If i can convince it to do 4ghzish without brutalizing my power bill or roasting, i'll do that :D

EDIT:
Never really thought I'd be running stuff at stock clocks. I blame the benching team, OCing on air just isn't the same anymore :p

Hopefully soon I'll be able to get the Q6600 outta stock mode and grab a decent cooling solution. Basically trying to bring as many cores online before Nov 1st.

Got the 980x going!
Running 11 threads at 3337mhz, this thing is an absolute monster. I love it!
If i run all 12 threads there are unacceptable system slowdowns.

Got the 980x going!
Running 11 threads at 3337mhz, this thing is an absolute monster. I love it!
If i run all 12 threads there are unacceptable system slowdowns.

Holy hell.....

That's going to net some serious RAC.

Looking at picking up an I7-950 @ Microcenter, for $229. IF the wife shows love.

Wound it up to 3458(@1.1vcore) for giggles.

It's looking like it might be as much as 5krac, it's going to take a while to stabilize though.
Once i settle on a OC i'll record my points at 24h intervals and see what it's up to :D

Holy hell.....

That's going to net some serious RAC.

Looking at picking up an I7-950 @ Microcenter, for $229. IF the wife shows love.

I got 5K+ out of my 950 with HT enabled. OC'd to 4.2GHz for ~2Wks. Mightabeen 4.4GHz, can't remember. I do know it got very hard to keep cool on air past 4.4GHz though.
I was within the Top15 CPU's in the world at that point. The 950 is an awesome processor for Rosie.

Wound it up to 3458(@1.1vcore) for giggles.

It's looking like it might be as much as 5krac, it's going to take a while to stabilize though.
Once i settle on a OC i'll record my points at 24h intervals and see what it's up to :D

I'm afraid that's just not good enough. Come back when you've actually got something to contribute. ;) Jeesh.

Ooooo that means i might be closer to 6krac, that'd be exciting! In theory this thing at 3450 is equal to a i7 quad at 5175....
In reality it's lower cause of ram bandwidth, but still!

Forgot to remove fah from startup and rebooted.
FAH showed up and seized the ram rosetta was using, and i got 0.00 second computation errors on ~700 one hour work units. The Rosetta server could have been happier.

I moved to linux and have been running that instead, bout to switch back to windows now and see if it'll let me fold again.

Holy SNAP! Our team RAC is already up to 88K!
At this rate we'll clear 150K in no time!
I'm really hoping to give out all of these prizes.

Howdy Shivas! I was wondering when you were going to stop by.
This year is shaping up to be even better. Can't wait!

EDIT: For those of you that don't know, shivas is the one who came up with the name for the contest. :) Thx bud.

Last edited:
Back