• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Thermalright Announces Archon Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Thermalright Announces Archon Heatsink
by mdcomp

ARCHONWFAN-294x300.png

Today, Thermalright announced the Archon heatsink, a new tower CPU cooler. The cooler is thinner than standard tower heatsinks, which Thermalright claims will eliminate compatibility issues with large memory heatspreaders. Boasting compatibility with Intel’s 1156 and 1366 sockets, the Archon also comes with the same AMD bracket system as the Venomous X. Also included is a 140mm TY-140 fan, but users can mount their own 120 or 140mm fan.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the 140mm mounted in the pictures?! Holy cow that is a beast. I'm looking forward to this review, I have to get an air cooler for my 1366 someday.

I was about to say the same thing! I've been H20-ed for so long, I wouldn't know what air cooler to get for my setup, lol

See where the heatpipes are? That spreads the heat out over the entire aluminum plates, unlike the TRUE and Megahalems that only heat one end.

This thing should be a monster.

EDIT:
I would not assume the performance will be the same, personally.

I am earger to test this one out myself. I want to see if spreading the heatpipes out like that will bring better efficiency to high end air. From what I've seen the last 3-4 years, high end air has hit a bit of an efficiency impasse, with only slightly better performance being realized with designs newer than the original TRUE model. I have a feeling though that this one will be another winner.:thup: Especially since Thermalright has addressed the base finish quality control problems they were having until a year or 2 ago.

Really interesting how they layout the pipes on making the contact with the fins, it looks this new model has different method than the conventional way that all pipes are having contact/soldered with all fins.

Watch at the gaps pointed by those red arrows, maybe those pipes are making contact at the upper fins, while the blue one is the one that is making contact with the bottom fins.

Really curious to see how this perform against current top dog like Silver Arrow or Noctua D14.

Archon.jpg

Last edited:
Really interesting how they layout the pipes on making the contact with the fins, it looks this new model has different method than the conventional way that all pipes are having contact/soldered with all fins.

Watch at the gaps pointed by those red arrows, maybe those pipes are making contact at the upper fins, while the blue one is the one that is making contact with the bottom fin.

Really curious to see how this perform against current top dog like Silver Arrow or Noctua D14.

View attachment 87297

I didn't even notice that! Good eyes, that makes good sense too, spread the heat dissipation around. I don't know how many times the top of an air cooler is ice cold and the bottom is pretty warm. I cannot wait for the muddoc to get a hold of this thing!

I didn't even notice that! Good eyes, that makes good sense too, spread the heat dissipation around. I don't know how many times the top of an air cooler is ice cold and the bottom is pretty warm. I cannot wait for the muddoc to get a hold of this thing!

Exactly, spreading the dissipation points, just guessing, maybe they've discovered the optimal dissipation number of pipes for each fin.

Another things to concern about, this HS is the tallest and widest (length) among other TR high end heatsinks, with this height, this might create problem with tight mid tower size case, especially with a thick side fan mounted.

Comparison :

Archon : Length 155mm x Width 53mm x Height 170mm

Venomous X : Length 127mm x Width 63mm x Height 160mm

Silver Arrow : Length 147mm x Width 123mm x Height 160mm

Archon%20size.jpg

Oh wow...I hadn't noticed it was taller, that could create issues for people.

I noticed this cooler on their website yesterday. A couple things I noticed:

- It's thinner than other tower coolers, like the Venomous X, by 10mm. Did Thermalright supply the volume numbers? They say you can use either 140 mm or 120 mm fans, but would a 120 mm cover all of the fins? If not, then the dissipation area of the Archon when using a 120 mm fan would be smaller.

- The spreading of heatpipes seems like a good idea. One issue I see that may arise is how high-performance fans with huge hubs work with the Archon. Personally, I like the majority of the heat being on the ends of the fins so my San Ace fans can dissapate all of it. The heat from the inner heatpipes may not get dissipated well unless using a fan with a small hub.

Oh wow...I hadn't noticed it was taller, that could create issues for people.

Until they get to about 5 feet tall ceiling fan clearance should not be an issue. :sly:

Just kidding...very true...of course the target market for this thing will not be SFF I'd imagine. :D

Bing and MattNo5ss, good points, and some of that is covered on their product page if you dig for it. From the support tab here:
http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=172&cat_id=27

FAQ 1
Question: Archon’s height seems a little different than other tower heatsinks, is there anything I should pay attention to when installing Archon inside a case?
Answer: Archon is 170mm in height, so please make sure you have a case that is more than 190mm in thickness, and there should be no side-panel fan, if there is, it must be removed before installing Archon.
FAQ 2
Question: Can I mount 2 fans on Archon?
Answer: Yes , you may mount a pair of fans, of your choice.
FAQ 3
Question: Archon looks thinner in size; will it have an effect on the cooling performance?
Answer: Although Archon is thin in thickness, the surface area is much larger than that of the Venomous X (1.6 times), and you can it pair it with a 140mm fan, so cooling performance is much improved.

- The spreading of heatpipes seems like a good idea. One issue I see that may arise is how high-performance fans with huge hubs work with the Archon. Personally, I like the majority of the heat being on the ends of the fins so my San Ace fans can dissapate all of it. The heat from the inner heatpipes may not get dissipated well unless using a fan with a small hub.

Bing and MattNo5ss, good points, and some of that is covered on their product page if you dig for it. From the support tab here:
http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=172&cat_id=27

I just realized that I could test my quoted point above with the Shaman, if interested.

Straight from our local TR distributor, they informed that Thermalright themself is claiming that this Archon cooling performance beats their own big sized twin towers Silver Arrow at the same fan configuration.

Judging from the information source and also the claim by comparing their own products, looks like TR is preparing to launch a new champion.

I had always wondered who the genius was that decided to line up the heat pipes. That design narrows down the pipes getting direct airflow to just the ones in the front. By spreading them out like this you get more pipes getting better, more direct, airflow.

I had always wondered who the genius was that decided to line up the heat pipes. That design narrows down the pipes getting direct airflow to just the ones in the front. By spreading them out like this you get more pipes getting better, more direct, airflow.

the pipes are fairly high restriction though, and not much heat will be lost over so little a surface area...what's been done here is spread out the heatload in the total sink, so the top gets as much heat as the bottom because it has its own set of pipes...or that's what I could see from the pics.

It's cheaper to make six identical shapes and press them on then it is to make six different shapes and press them on. Simple as that, i'd bet.

Found for sale at this online shop -> HERE $82.95 :shock: with the condition "Orderable, Stock Expected to Arrive Soon" :rolleyes:

.​

What!? This thing better be a beast at that price... or either it's being marked up for pre-orders...

Back