• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED INF Error Video Driver Not found System determined OS in use is not a 64bit OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Motherboard: Athlon XP nForce2 chipset Shuttle AN35N Ultra v1.1

*Nothing* is installed except for Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 and DirectX 9.0c. Nothing was changed or touched.

ATI Radeon X1300 AGP will not install.

Earliest Catalyst for the card is 5.12 and it and versions after it give out the following Severe error pop-up when running the Standard Catalyst Setup: INF Error Video Driver Not found

More recent drivers, including the last Catalyst 10.2 for this video card displays the following error: System has determined that the operating system in use is not a 64bit OS and as this Setup is intended for 64bit systems only, Setup will now exit.

Of course the driver is 32-Bit Catalyst.

VisonTek is the brand of ATI Radeon X1300. The driver on its web site also gives out the "not a 64bit OS" error.

[SOLVED, HERE'S HOW:]

Good suggestions, I tried changing DevicePath string in registry and I tried dumping drivers into %SystemRoot%\inf however no luck. Maybe I should have rebooted but here is what worked: the man himself redduc900 gave me two words which resolved this problem: Hardware Wizard.

Now the Hardware Wizard doesn't work by itself:

First I installed this shareware: http://www.drivermagician.com/download.htm and backed up the driver from the initial install drive image.

Then I reimaged the full installation and and ran the restore driver feature of that shareware program. It then asked to reboot the system, something I did not do using your suggestions of temporarily changing registry and %SystemRoot%\inf

Now, the driver install still does not work, manual driver install still does not work, however, now that the Driver Magician software "restored" the drivers [I think it just copied them wherever, I don't know what else] this worked:

Windows 2000 Control Panel > System > Hardware TAB > Hardware Wizard > Next > Add/Troubleshoot a device > Next > SELECT Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

*** Do not select Video Controller. Select Video Controller (VGA Compatible) there's two of them, only the (VGA Compatible) one works as described here ***

> Next > Finish > Next > SELECT Display a list of the known drivers... > Next > Display adapters > Next > Have Disk... > Browse... to any driver location, not necessarily the driver location Driver Magician backed up.

And it worked. pfew. :burn:

Last edited:
There are no Windows 2000 drivers since X850, last time I checked. Might I ask why you're using an undead operating system?

There are no Windows 2000 drivers since X850, last time I checked. Might I ask why you're using an undead operating system?

Why are you making me take screen shots of Catalyst 5.12 Release Notes? :)

Some people use older Windows operating systems for testing purposes, some for word processing or business machines that require no upgrades for limited and specific functions they perform. Some people use multi-boots and image one operating system partition from another. There are many other reasons which most average single OS users can't think of... ;)

Attachments

• Catalyst5-12Cards.jpg
    Catalyst5-12Cards.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 841
  • Catalyst5-12OSs.jpg
    Catalyst5-12OSs.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 820
Now that there is a good suggestion.

and :eek: it worked too.

I am going to reimage back and give it one more shot with the Windows 2000 + all apps install. I tried all this with it with no luck, so I nuked the Win2K partition, installed from scratch + DX 9.0c + chipset with no luck with Setup.exe but forgot to try manual.

Thanks for reminding me to always try all the basics no matter what. :thup:

So now I know that it works if installed manually. I reinstalled the old image and when I do the same thing I did on the initial install, it lists nothing.

The image had nVidia Display driver which I uninstalled and rebooted.

Manual install of ATI Catalyst results in an empty list, there are no card models to choose from.

Attachments

• AtiDriverNoCards.jpg
    AtiDriverNoCards.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 836
Has to be something funky in your image causing it. I'm guessing you don't want to go from square one but it looks like it might be tough to sort out otherwise

I tried uninstalling using ATI's & nVidia's clean up programs to clean up any old driver info, no luck. I tried all versions of Catalysts for the card, no luck.

Is there any way to install the driver on the initial image first.... then somehow transfer info from Windows system directories to the new image or something along those lines?

Can't see how that could possibly work but I've been wrong before. Maybe it's not the drivers fault at all but something else that's running in the background when you're installing it?

All right. Safe Mode should take care of that concern...

Safe Mode shows under Other Devices: Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

Have Disk... again results in an empty list.

The reason I was asking about transferring driver info into Windows system folders is because when you go to Display a list of known drivers for the device, it does list manufacturers, ATI included, but the drivers are for older cards back from Windows 2000 days.

Is there any way to insert driver info into the Windows system known drivers for the device list?

Does anyone know if you can install a standard VGA driver that would at least allow 800x600 instead of the 640x480 thing that's going on without any driver installed... It won't even switch to 800x600.

I have a couple of programs that claim: "Backing up your Windows driver files means they will be available to you the next time you need to reinstall the driver or the whole operating system" and "Fast and user-friendly free tool for drivers backup, restoration and removal..."

I'm a bit uncertain on what exactly you're trying to accomplish, but it is fairly easy to add driver to a Windows install (I'm assuming you're trying to deploy images).

I'm not quite sure what the registry key is in Win2k, but on XP up to Win7, if you go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and modify the DevicePath string, you can use a comma (or a semi-colon; forgot which one) to add another folder. Create a folder somewhere and add the inf and other system files for the driver you want. You could also just dump the drivers into the default %SystemRoot%\inf directory.

Good suggestions, I tried changing DevicePath string in registry and I tried dumping drivers into %SystemRoot%\inf however no luck. Maybe I should have rebooted but here is what worked: the man himself redduc900 gave me two words which resolved this problem: Hardware Wizard.

Now the Hardware Wizard doesn't work by itself:

First I installed this shareware: http://www.drivermagician.com/download.htm and backed up the driver from the initial install drive image.

Then I reimaged the full installation and and ran the restore driver feature of that shareware program. It then asked to reboot the system, something I did not do using your suggestions of temporarily changing registry and %SystemRoot%\inf

Now, the driver install still does not work, manual driver install still does not work, however, now that the Driver Magician software "restored" the drivers [I think it just copied them wherever, I don't know what else] this worked:

Windows 2000 Control Panel > System > Hardware TAB > Hardware Wizard > Next > Add/Troubleshoot a device > Next > SELECT Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

*** Do not select Video Controller. Select Video Controller (VGA Compatible) there's two of them, only the (VGA Compatible) one works as described here ***

> Next > Finish > Next > SELECT Display a list of the known drivers... > Next > Display adapters > Next > Have Disk... > Browse... to any driver location, not necessarily the driver location Driver Magician backed up.

And it worked. pfew. :burn:

Does anyone know if you can install a standard VGA driver that would at least allow 800x600 instead of the 640x480 thing that's going on without any driver installed... It won't even switch to 800x600.

The generic driver is trash. Prepare for a browser crash when surfing. Worthless, even for a 1998 video card.
And I never heard of a problem like yours, unless you actually downloaded the 64-bit version by accident.

Negative. They were 32-Bit. I have found a dozen threads like this but this is the first time
INF Error Video Driver Not found
which later turned into
System determined OS in use is not a 64bit OS
has been solved as far as I know. Thank you redduc900.

Back