• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Swiftech MCW80 - Riding the Lightning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Swiftech MCW80 – Riding the Lightning
by Maxi

mcw80blk-10-300x225.jpg

When you have two cards as formidable as these two, it’s only natural to want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of them. Enter Swiftech’s high-efficiency MCW80…

Return to article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Yes it is. You need to go to Swiftech site and make sure the plates fit for the GPU block. Then you buy aftermarket heatsinks for each ram chip and Vreg block. make sure you got some minor fannage on the heatsinks, your golden.

Yes it is. You need to go to Swiftech site and make sure the plates fit for the GPU block. Then you buy aftermarket heatsinks for each ram chip and Vreg block. make sure you got some minor fannage on the heatsinks, your golden.

Once my wedding is over (this Sat the 23rd) and we get back from the honeymoon, I think I may put a Matrix platinum under water. If it fits.

Hot diggity!! I was hoping they had a block out for the Matrix 5870 as I have one o deez badboys enroute to me thanx to Gwiggles :clap:

Sure I can do that with pics and all ;)

Your awesome :D I'm on the fence right now because I want another matrix, but I want to wait and see how the 6990 is or maybe get a 5970 when the 6xxx comes out. I just really like the Matrix.

I had a thought and please tell me if I'm just nuts, but on these cards by moving to WCing you actually remove a some heat generation and power consumption from the board, IE the fan generating heat and consuming power while spinning. Am I right on the assumption that the board voltage might be a bit more stable without having to power a fan etc.?

So, please forgive my ignorance, but is this a block for non ref cards? I'd love to WC my Matrix 5870, even if I have to go universal.

Yep, the MSI Lightnings I used this block on are both custom PCB cards. You might even be able to do what I did and leave the stock VRM cooling in place and not have to buy anything else.

I had a thought and please tell me if I'm just nuts, but on these cards by moving to WCing you actually remove a some heat generation and power consumption from the board, IE the fan generating heat and consuming power while spinning. Am I right on the assumption that the board voltage might be a bit more stable without having to power a fan etc.?

I doubt removing that small draw would mean anything, the design of the power circuit itself is what matters, but for sure it wont hurt.

Mark....when did you start writing?
Nice article, and great overclock on that 480! :thup:

hows the mcw80 vs the 60?
i heard that mcw80 cools bigger gpus like 5870/480 etc much better than the 60 but with higher restriction

same with gtz and xt?

Back