[O/C]Corsair Hydro Series H70 Review

Corsair Hydro Series H70 Review
    by muddocktor

Now, we have Corsairís answer to the shortcomings of their original LCLC offering, which comes with a thicker radiator for more area to move heat from it and they have given this new solution a true push-pull dual fan setup for more airflow through the new, thicker radiator. Letís see if this cooler can outmatch high end air cooling.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).
    Last edited by mdcomp; 10-26-10 at 11:23 AM.

Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Great review mudd! Nice to see a 'kit' finally manage to compete with the best air!

I feel like I took a trip across the pond with all the 'mm' measurements though!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Author Profile
    Thanks Mudd! Guess there wasn't much need to run GT1850s at 1200 RPM in push pull since the temps would be higher by quite a bit over a air cooled CPU.
    I want my old title back.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
    27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H

Registered
    Nice review! The price is too high compared to the high end air.
    How was the noise (db) with the push/pull config with the stock H70s?
    CM690
    Corsair H50
    Samsung F1 750GB
    Antec 650w Truepower
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 5850
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333Mhz (9-9-9-24)

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    Great review mudd! Nice to see a 'kit' finally manage to compete with the best air!

I feel like I took a trip across the pond with all the 'mm' measurements though!
    Heh, originally I was going to include measurements in inches, but the fraction parts looked out of place and confusing so I deleted them in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Thanks Mudd! Guess there wasn't much need to run GT1850s at 1200 RPM in push pull since the temps would be higher by quite a bit over a air cooled CPU.
    No, I don't think the GT's would give any better performance, especially at 1200 rpm. This radiator needs static pressure to perform well and I think you would lose too much with the undervolted GT fans.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy508 View Post
    Since I test in a room with a window AC plus at least 2 other computers running (and I don't presently own a dB meter either), I can't give you a number about this. I will say that the Corsair fans on high were slightly noticeable when running, but not objectionable to me. With the inline resistors being used, the noise from them wasn't really noticeable though.

Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official
    Author Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy508 View Post
    from [H]'s review of the h70

WELLLL, ed had an issue with the pic, here's the source. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...mance_testing/
    Last edited by m0r7if3r; 10-26-10 at 02:23 PM.
    If years were seasons, this December would be the December of our December.
    -Abed #sixseasonsandamovie

Heat

Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    A red X? ^^

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official
    Author Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    A red X? ^^
    herm....works fine for me, I'll edit in the link to the article.
    If years were seasons, this December would be the December of our December.
    -Abed #sixseasonsandamovie

Heat

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
    Overclockers.com Editor

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Good job as usual

Quote Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
    Heh, originally I was going to include measurements in inches, but the fraction parts looked out of place and confusing so I deleted them in the end.
    You don't have an engineering scale? They measure in tenths of an inch, then you could use decimal places
    i7 4770K | ASRock Z87M OC Formula | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | EVGA GTX780 SC ACX | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | SeaSonic X750
    Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z87I-Deluxe | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | 5x2TB RAIDZ | Corsair CX430

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (101-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    No, actually I don't. The only place I need engineering scales is at work and I just get a tape from the rig if I have to measure anything that needs readings in tenths or hundredths of inches. And my work on the rig mostly involves liquid measurements anyways and if it's small quantities we measure in ml and if large quantities it will be in barrels (1 barrel=42 gallons).

Disabled
    Author Profile
    Great review, mudd!

And good news for our members who own narrow/small cases but still want excellent cooling.

Even though this is an LCLC it still retains the logistical advantage of WC loops, namely that the heat doesn't have to be shunted away from the CPU area with air. Moving the (air) heat exchanger to another location definitely has it's advantages, which is often not considered when talking about upgrading air heatsinks. Poor case airflow can kill you and though many of us have good cases with good airflow many do not. For those people, switching to high-end air also must include better case fans to accommodate the higher CFM many high-end air heatsinks have. Running a 50 CFM (or higher) air heatsink with only a 37 CFM exhaust fan tends to reduce performance ...
    Last edited by QuietIce; 10-27-10 at 10:26 AM.

Senior Air Extraordinaire
    Great Review. I like the inclusion of several fans and different high end heatsinks. I'll use this as a reference.

The RaT
    CM-690 | Maximus Formula | Ballistix D9GMH 2GB - 4-4-4-10 - 2.2v (active cooled) | E6850 @4GHz (L719B) 602 Bios 500x8 - 1.475v | Ultra 120 Extreme | 2x HD3870 840/1300 | Lite-On 52327s CDRW | WD 74GB - Raptor HDD | Corsair 620HX PSU | Windows XP Pro sp2 |

Support the OC Benchmarking Team The HD 4870/50 Thread The HD 3870/50 Thread The X1900XT/XTX Thread X800GTO≤ Thread Heatware

Make friends with your "FAST" - 90K 01SE - 77K 03 - 29K 05 - 19K 06 - 274K AM3 - single card all air baby!