• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Corsair Hydro Series H70 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Corsair Hydro Series H70 Review
by muddocktor

Now, we have Corsair’s answer to the shortcomings of their original LCLC offering, which comes with a thicker radiator for more area to move heat from it and they have given this new solution a true push-pull dual fan setup for more airflow through the new, thicker radiator. Let’s see if this cooler can outmatch high end air cooling.

H70-review-046a-300x204.jpg

... Return to article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review mudd! Nice to see a 'kit' finally manage to compete with the best air!

I feel like I took a trip across the pond with all the 'mm' measurements though!

Nice review! The price is too high compared to the high end air.
How was the noise (db) with the push/pull config with the stock H70s?

Great review mudd! Nice to see a 'kit' finally manage to compete with the best air!

I feel like I took a trip across the pond with all the 'mm' measurements though!

Heh, originally I was going to include measurements in inches, but the fraction parts looked out of place and confusing so I deleted them in the end.

Thanks Mudd! Guess there wasn't much need to run GT1850s at 1200 RPM in push pull since the temps would be higher by quite a bit over a air cooled CPU.

No, I don't think the GT's would give any better performance, especially at 1200 rpm. This radiator needs static pressure to perform well and I think you would lose too much with the undervolted GT fans.

Since I test in a room with a window AC plus at least 2 other computers running (and I don't presently own a dB meter either), I can't give you a number about this. I will say that the Corsair fans on high were slightly noticeable when running, but not objectionable to me. With the inline resistors being used, the noise from them wasn't really noticeable though.

from [H]'s review of the h70

attachment.php

WELLLL, ed had an issue with the pic, here's the source. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/09/28/corsair_h70_water_cooler_performance_testing/

Last edited:
Good job as usual :thup:

Heh, originally I was going to include measurements in inches, but the fraction parts looked out of place and confusing so I deleted them in the end.

You don't have an engineering scale? They measure in tenths of an inch, then you could use decimal places :p

No, actually I don't. The only place I need engineering scales is at work and I just get a tape from the rig if I have to measure anything that needs readings in tenths or hundredths of inches. :D And my work on the rig mostly involves liquid measurements anyways and if it's small quantities we measure in ml and if large quantities it will be in barrels (1 barrel=42 gallons).

Great review, mudd! :beer:

And good news for our members who own narrow/small cases but still want excellent cooling. :)

Even though this is an LCLC it still retains the logistical advantage of WC loops, namely that the heat doesn't have to be shunted away from the CPU area with air. Moving the (air) heat exchanger to another location definitely has it's advantages, which is often not considered when talking about upgrading air heatsinks. Poor case airflow can kill you and though many of us have good cases with good airflow many do not. For those people, switching to high-end air also must include better case fans to accommodate the higher CFM many high-end air heatsinks have. Running a 50 CFM (or higher) air heatsink with only a 37 CFM exhaust fan tends to reduce performance ... ;)

Last edited:
Great Review. I like the inclusion of several fans and different high end heatsinks. I'll use this as a reference.

The RaT

Back