• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Fdisked with /mbr & formatted Now Cdrom not Roecogized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

luckylckyme

Hi, My HDD was Fdisked with /mbr & formatted. Windows XP placed in Cdrom and booted too. The setup started to run but shortly after went to a blue screen. I restarted to start over and now the Cdrom won't boot or is recognized(but is in bios.) Anyone have any ideals how to fix this and reinstall XP?

when the cd rom locks up sometimes you have to fully remove the power from the computer to get it to reset.
then your right back to attempting the install, and you need to know where exactally the install fails at.

one of the first things an install disk attempts, is to make a ram disk and start copying files to it, so doing a Memtest86 boot disk test of the memory would be usefull, memtest86 can now be a bootdisk via a USB flash memory stick, if you can get that working. that would also get one thing out of the way, testing the ram.

then ya go from there . . .

Are you using a Windows XP SP2 Disk?

Also, How many watts is your Power Supply. What type of Video Card are you using, and are you overclocking.

Lastly, What do you have plugged into your USB ports? Sometimes large drains on USB can cause erratic behavior on cheaper MoBo's or if your overclocking them.

IF PATA (fat Cables) are they the rounded/extra long ones? If both drives are on the same cable, the cable may have been pulled out incorrectly (not by the plastic tab) or put under stress, thus breaking one or more connections.
IF SATA Also are you using Long SATA cables (I think 1m is the largest you can go) or After Market cables (some of the colored ones are poorly made). The best cables to use (if you can) are the ones that snap onto the back of the drive and onto the mobo. You risk yanking the cable if you are not careful, but I have more problems with non snap on SATA cables becoming loose, even when they seem to be in place!

Last edited:
Try clearing BIOS, unplug the computer and start it with it still unplugged, this will clear all power from the mobo. Unplug all drives and cables, then plug them back in to make sure they are seated properly. Then plug the power back in and set BIOS so CD-ROM is first boot drive, HDD is second boot drive. If that don't work you either have a bad disk, bad CD-ROM drive or bad memory.

thank you all for replying. I'm still having problems anyone else have any ideas?

Why haven't you replied to the questions already asked of you from almost a month ago? And what have you done as far as the suggestions offered by the three previous posters, including any other troubleshooting?

So let me get this straight. You have completely cleared BIOS, pulled out battery while computer is unplugged and everything, then go in to BIOS where you see the CD-rom drive and set it so that CD-ROM is your first boot drive then you insert the WIN XP setup disk and power on and it does not read the setup disk?

if this is all true then your CD-ROM drive went bad. otherwise tell us exactly what is happening.

Can you see the CDROM in the Device Manager? Had an issue like this not recently with a customer. Removed upper and lower filter registry keys and restarted. CDROM was working fine afterwards.

From Microsoft's site:

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
Start button, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

Really don't think this applies since there is no windows yet there is no registry either. Bad windows CD or bad optical drive would be the likely culprits.

phsyically unplug your hdd from the power cable going to it, leave the cdrom alone, boot with the xp cd in it. does the windows xp install start now?
i get the feeling this is a user error more than a hardware error.

Back