• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i upgrade this 5400 rpm laptop drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boorishid

So my netbook had a Seagate 5400 rpm 160 version 6 moneumentus drive it was pretty damn slow. average xfer was like 47mb..... I took apart a seagate free agent 320 external threw it in my netbook its also a 5400 so i was bummed out. But its a 7th gen Seagate moneumentus with 4k advance (which i thought did nothing for speed). Anyways this hd is benching way better all the numbers in crystal mark are signifigantly higher the disk part of windows index shot a half point, and the xfer according to hd tune on this drive is like 76mb/sec.

I remmber getting that kind of transfer rate on older desktop 7200rpm drives. Would investing in a new 7200 rpm drive give me much of a performance boost? Anyone got some hdtune and crystal mark number on a newer 2.5 7200rpm drive? Also any idea why the hell this 320 is benching way better? there both single platter drives only diffrence i can see is the 4k advance... maybe that does help when you use ntfs cuz ntfs is 4k cluster native?

Going from a drive with a 160GB platter to a drive with a 320GB platter means you've doubled the areal density. The means that on the new drive the head will travel over twice as many bits during a single rotation as compared to the old drive. This should have result in a significant increase in the sequential read speed of the drive.

With CDM there is also the question of which part of the drive it is testing since the performance of a drive will decrease greatly from the outermost track to the innermost and CDM just test a small part of the drive. This means that if you have the same amount of data on a 320GB drive as on a 160GB drive the data on the 320GB drive will be father out on the drive, in the higher-performance region.

to heck with the benchmarks, do you notice the difference? I'm assuming you put the drive in to see the performance difference in what you do, not what a benchmark shows?

acually i didnt think there would be any diffrence just more space. i only benched out of curiosity. it feels i bit zippyer but its also a fresh format.

Back