• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I was always under the impression that one has to have the retail box, CPU and HSF to RMA a processor. I would like to share with the members here the process and what you need .... I successfully RMA'd a defective C2D E8600 yesterday.

Eligibility to RMA CPU:

Retail box - 3 years from date of sale

OEM - 1 year from date of sale

Conditions : CPU must have no physical damage, also it is up to Intel to still void the RMA if they find that the CPU was damaged by the user.

What do I need?:

CPU - make sure you write down exactly what is inscribed on the CPU IHS, all the numbers etc, you would also need the two lines of numbers/letters printed on the black PCB on the middle lower end of the CPU (see below)

2199s20.jpg

CPU heatsink and fan (HSF)
- sometimes they will ask you the numbers printed on the HSF, sometimes not.

14m5ct5.jpg

NOTE : YOU DON'T NEED THE ORIGINAL RETAIL BOX

Who do I contact?

This link will take you to the warranty page, use the n6e1vr.jpg as that is the most effective way and gets your RMA in less than 20 minutes.

LINK

You will need to provide your shipping address, e-mail, telephone number etc for them to log and process the RMA. Once approved they will e-mail the RMA number and instructions to complete the RMA.
The process is quite simple...you ship the defective unit (CPU and HSF) to Intel, once they receive and inspect it they will ship you the replacement, takes about 10 business days to get your CPU back from the date you ship the defective one.

Exceptions

If you are RMA'ing the CPU in the US and have bought it elsewhere say in Asia or Europe they will ask a $20 fee to process.

Last edited:
Don't you need the box, too? Some numbers are on there that are not on the cpu/heatsink.

Never had to RMA an intel CPU, but RMAed an AMD once or twice ;-).

Just don't try to get an RMA for a CPU burned out through obviously warranty-voiding methods. If anybody does, I'll be forced to make rude comments about their integrity.

What about box that had been cut for rebate purpose? My i3 box is missing most of the label due to MIR a few months ago.

I just successfully RMA'd a i5-650 using this process... took 10 minutes to get the RMA number via live chat, they were OOS on the CPU's so there was a delay on getting them to ship, only 7 days since defective CPU was received by them though

Sounds so simple when you guys do this...

They denied me an RMA of an E8500 that was working when I received it (tested at stock), then months later won't boot (just sat on my desk during that time). They said the CPU was "registered to another user" so I can't RMA the CPU, the "other user" has to...

Sounds so simple when you guys do this...

They denied me an RMA of an E8500 that was working when I received it (tested at stock), then months later won't boot (just sat on my desk during that time). They said the CPU was "registered to another user" so I can't RMA the CPU, the "other user" has to...

try again. I had that happen with my 980x and they gave me a "this time only we will do this" type thing.

Im going to RMA my i5 2500k tomorow, ill keep you guys posted on how long it takes. Based out of Canada.

Did an RMA for a 2600K. Took about 10 minutes and I had it the next day. They offer an expedited service for $25. Shipping both ways is included. You have to pay for the CPU upfront but they reverse the charge once they receive the defective CPU.

Did an RMA for a 2600K. Took about 10 minutes and I had it the next day. They offer an expedited service for $25. Shipping both ways is included. You have to pay for the CPU upfront but they reverse the charge once they receive the defective CPU.

What if they decide that your CPU wasn't defective, and that you broke it somehow? They'd keep the charge, right?

Back