• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amer1337

i have a raid 0 and 1 array, im replacing my mobo cpu and memory and want to know if theres a way to transfer all the data from my raid 1 over without having an extra harddrive to backup delete the array and transfer the data over.

basically i want to take my array and make it into 2 seperate drives again without losing the date

the intel storage manager does allow for some reconfiguration of the raid arrays , by transferring the data around. bring up the storage manager, select the array itself, then see what "modify volume" allows. it wtill says Backup all data first, and can take whole DAYS to do a reconfigure.
it is limited to what logically can be changed easily , so it is very limited.

i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole, it is bad enough in say the RAID0 array that the data is split, while they could certannly SHUFFLE data around back and forth unsplitting it, it would have to complete it all and in between the whole thing would be shuffled. they do not support that operation, probably for that reason, it would be insane and take forever in time.

only way i will mess with that stuff , is via the directions Backup first, because enough can already go wrong just changing things around, and Recoveries take whole Days too.
rent a drive :) shift the data that is important on to it.
remove the drive off the raid fully with the bios/software
copy the data AGAIN to the now removed raid disks
then you have it in 2 places, and if you screw up one . . . . you believe the other is still good :) and make that misteak.

i dont have enough spare drive space and i dont have money to buy one and use it :(

theres an option in the manager to take my raid 1, and delete the array leaving two visable drives with the same data? or with one having the data and the other empty?

that sounds about right. then you have one free, and can get some of your R0 over to it.
and imagine how much money it costs to have to "profesionally" recover data. man that scares me :)
when the poop hits the fan , when transferring terrabytes around, having a poop bucket at any cost beats the snot out of cleaning the poop strewn about the room :)

usefull excessivly paranoid tools would be a bit-bit comparitor , like WinDiff is free, VisaVersa sharware, or terracopy free.
they can compare every file in the drives, and it takes days . i use them overnight .

Last edited:
im not to sure where the option is i dont see it. i can modify volume but it gives different raid choices. 0 1 and 5 thats it tho

im not to sure where the option is i dont see it. i can modify volume but it gives different raid choices. 0 1 and 5 thats it tho

I doubt it will allow reconfiguration of the raid0, because its 1/2 and 1/2 . the raid0 will have to be manually moved to something.
and that is where i would apply a Comparitor, after moving the data, i would compare everything moved to be bit perfect, before i broke the raid0 , which would obliterate the data on the raid0.

You're running a quad core 3.2ghz...and you have enough money to upgrade your CPU, Mobo AND memory, but you can't spend anything else for more storage. You need to hold off on purchasing electronics IMHO.

my brother upgraded his core system and i got his old parts :) i didnt spend a dime.

once i break the raid 1 i can bakcup the 0 on one of the 2 drives.

You suck then!
:p

I think your best bet is like you said, break the RAID 1 and backup the 0, then take everything down and setup as individual drives!

im not sure how to break the raid 1 while keeping data tho. last time i had an issue with my raid a drive died and i was unable to access the data until i replaced it.

Can't you just take the disc out of a RAID 1 then place it on another port and you should have 2 drives that both have the same data?

i didnt have an extra port, but i removed one drive and i wasnt able to access the data on the remaining drive until i replaced the missing one.

Back