• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a GTX 465 to the loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

I am running my sig pc right now but it seems I need to upgrade my video card for some one of the new games coming out. Or at least to run them at the levels I like. I think I am going to go with a GTX 465, will my current radiators handle it or should I consider replacing the single with another duel? I am running push/pull on the single and only push on the duel at this time. The processor will remain at the current o/c and the vid card may get a little o/c...

Have you looked at the gtx465 to gtx460 comparisons?

I'd say you probably need more rad...how do your temps look right now?

Yes, I have compared the two. In terms of cost to performance the 465 is closer to the 470 and I get 256 interface vs the 192 of the 460. The cost to go up is minimal as well.

My current temps are 19c on the cpu and 42 gpu with almost silent fan operation.

:thup: long as you're not gonna realize it later. I just checked, the TDP of an 8800gt is 105w and the tdp of a gtx465 is 200w (those are quick googling numbers, could be off, I didn't crosscompare or anything), so you're effectively doubling the heat dump of the gfx into the loop. The way I would go about this would be to add the card first, see how the temps look, then if you need it add the rad...unless you lose money on shipping that way or smn.

Yup, I realize that Gun but the cost when upgrading to the 256 version of the 460 is almost equal to the 465 with more benefits. I figure why not go for the 465 at that cost. At least from what I have found... or am I misreading because I would love to save cash on the rest of this build?

Now back to the radiator issue...Any thoughts?

Last edited:
You could start out with just adding 2 more fans to the RX240 and see how that works out.

19C on the CPU? How do you figure that? Most AMD CPUs load in the 50's with your setup under load. What are you measuring it with? What are you loading the CPU with?

Updated it with a pic but I don't understand the loaded with? I have used OCCT to test load it if that is what you mean.

Ok I hit 31 max under OCCT. I would add a couple to that because it is a little cooler outside but that sounds about right from my stress tests when initially doing the o/c.

Ok I hit 31 max under OCCT. I would add a couple to that because it is a little cooler outside but that sounds about right from my stress tests when initially doing the o/c.

You ran the test for 30 min? OCCT is enough for a load for normal use. You need 30 min for water temps to stabilize. And Coretemp is all thats availble for AMD processors, and it works right. Just to make sure, make sure you have the latest coretemp program too.

You'll be fine with the ONE GPU added to the loop, might need bit better fans, give it a try.

Yes, I also have ran this same setup for 8 hours with the same results. Here is the 30min from earlier. Also I have been running this setup for a little over a month now with good reliability.
temps.png

Thanks for the input on the fans though. I was trying to avoid rebuilding it after I get everything in there and do a one time tear down/test period but it seems multiple will be the only option here.

Thanks for the input on the fans though. I was trying to avoid rebuilding it after I get everything in there and do a one time tear down/test period but it seems multiple will be the only option here.

Well you have some very nice temps there, and if you dont mind that they will make a jump when you add the GTX465, I think you will be fine with your current rads. If not you still have the option to add two more fans to the double rad, thats pretty easy to do, and is not what I consider "rebuilding". :)

Back