• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which version of windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

I'm currently running windows vista atm but want to buy window7. dont know which version to go with tho. i mainly use my pc for gaming and movies, which version should i get?

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 is what you want then, its the comprable version to what you are using now. If you have more than one computer, the family pack of upgrades is a pretty darn good deal right now. You get 3 upgrades for $125-130ish.

you should only consider premium or pro
you will only need pro if you need either remote desktop or XP mode for compatability with older programs

is there any sort of performance increase in gmes when moving from vista to windows 7?

Not likely anything ground breaking. I mean if you are into benchmarking you might see some slight improvement.

The biggest thing I noticed is that the interface just feels more responsive. They did a good job with the human factors engineering. Delaying background startup applications is one good example. So you get much less lag when logging in because there aren't 50 things going on all at once; it lets you just get in and get to what you want and slowly starts other things in the background.

win 7 is slightly slower than vista and significantly slower than XP, but is worth it.

Back