• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for reasonable card for $70 or under.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ringside

Registered
Hello all,

Last May I got a Radeon HD 4870 and this past week it died comepletely. I'm not in a position at the moment to splash out on an expensive card, just something that will do a decent job for a while.

I won't really be needing it to play games but I will be watching videos of all kinds. HDMI out would be nice.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable -$70 card? I was looking at the 512mb Radeon 4350 but I'm unsure I'm sure there's something better out that I don't know about....I've been out of the loop for a while.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/VisionT...91.p?id=1218057381797&skuId=9200991&st=900270 &cp=1&lp=1

Thanks all, hope someone can help!

Cheers.

RMA your 4870. hopefully you got it through a means in which the guarantee is still valid. Otherwise the best around 70 dollar card I have seen is probably either the nvidia gt 240 ddr5 edition, its nice because it supports all of the nvidia features but it doesn't need a seperate power cable or one of the ati 5450s like you were talking about. personally I prefer the gt 240 i own two actually, my main card is a gtx 460 though now, 240 now just handles physx.

really i would get a 4870 or 4890 off of ebay, just to get by on.
what trap didnt tell you . . . http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659147
is he has a used replacement for the card you had fried.

old 4890 beasts , are still pushing up some good FPSes for thier prices , and gamers arent discusted with them yet, although there are many being unloaded for resonable prices.

really i would get a 4870 or 4890 off of ebay, just to get by on.

That's true, you can find 4870s used in the $70 range. GTS250's as well... I got my 1GB version a couple months ago for $65.

So it kinda depends... if you're just planning on using it for videos and such, and not much gaming, then a GT240 or similar would probably be the preferable choice just because it saves a few bucks up front, and is a little lighter on the electric bill. If you think you would game if you had another decently capable card, then yeah, a second-hand higher-end card might be a good buy.

Back