• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old member needs a hand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll have a look at 5570/5650/5670. Thanks!

Is there an effective way to use my s939 HS (TR SI-120) with AM3, or is it essentially a moot point with this CPU?

Looking at the pictures it has clips on it. I don't think the fin array has enough surface area nor the base enough mass to cool any modern chip better than a stock cooler.

Looking at the pictures it has clips on it. I don't think the fin array has enough surface area nor the base enough mass to cool any modern chip better than a stock cooler.
The best stock heatsink only has four heatpipes and that one has five so it should be better than the best stock sink. And even the stocks sinks aren't bad if you put a good fan on them. Not nearly as good as a 120mm tower cooler but better than nothing.

I can see Intel clips in the pics but still have no clue about AMD mounting. Probably clips since a LOT of the old heatsinks are but I thought I'd ask anyway. ;) If it's clip-on then it'll work with AM2/3 but will need a shim of some kind under the clip ...

Last edited:
Sorry for the belated reply. Yes, the HS uses clips. Seeing what you guys said, I think I'd be better off with a dedicated HSF.

Back