• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] NVIDIA GTX 580 Launch Round-Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The GTX580s are already listed for sale this morning at Newegg.com starting at $559.99. The stock core runs at 772 MHz and shader clock at 1544 MHz, but for $20 more you can get a factory overclocked EVGA SuperClocked model running 797 MHz and 1594 MHz respectively. Mwave.com has the EVGA SuperClocked listed at $515 and the stock version at $499.
... Return to article to continue reading.

stumbleupon | reddit | digg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing special really according to me :-/
The funniest fact is that 5970 is still faster in most tests...

5970 is a dual GPU card. The "funniest fact" is that the 580 actually beats it in many games and costs much less.

It is a dual card but it is a wayyyy too old card too. It's not more expensive, the pricing is the same as gtx580...

So the ones who own a 5970 for a year already, they actually have no need to update because the fastest card today is actually not faster than the one that is a year old... regardless the number of GPUs...

I just expected the jump to be much bigger... not half an inch, that's it.

anybody know when a 560 gtx is going to come out? I'm thinking of stretching my 4850 just a little bit longer to wait.

Yeah, they'd be crazy not to bring it down now that there's competition. Shame they were able to milk people for so long.

The 5970 is a bit unfair as a comparison since it's dual-GPU. And it is still better in most games, not the other way around. The GTX580 is a little better in some games. There are tons of false results across various review sites showing that the GTX580 is 'much better' than the HD5970 in a lot of games because they aren't using the proper drivers and/or crossfire profiles; notice how close the 5870 is to the 5970 in those tests (and in some, the 5970 is even lower), meaning crossfire isn't working right.

It was meant to beat the 480 and 5870 by significant margins with a more power-efficient design, and for the most part it does that. Average ~20% more performance than the 480 and ~30% more than the 5870 at high resolutions with AA.

The HD6870 CF and GTX580 SLI both scale very well, and sometimes perfectly which is good to see. I feel that the HD6870 has impressed me more though, as the GTX580 as expected still uses quite a fair bit of power, I was hoping for a larger drop. I think the HD6990 will be quite a big step from the GTX580(if that is what it will be called) as the HD5970 can keep up with it.

Well, I was wrong, it's not a paper launch and I was right...this is what the GTX 480 was supposed to be. My personal opinion...this is an optimized/reworked/corrected 480. Fast card though.

I wonder how much faster the 580 is compared to 2 460s in SLI? If the performance is similar, then I wonder which would use less power and generate less heat?

I wonder how much faster the 580 is compared to 2 460s in SLI? If the performance is similar, then I wonder which would use less power and generate less heat?

Well, two GTX 460s in SLI are about 0-15% faster than a single GTX 480. The GTX 580 looks to be 10-15% faster than a single GTX 480. So I would call that one a wash. Two 460s in SLI = one 580. Mind you thats real rough estimate, games, system configurations, driver updates notwithstanding.

As far as heat and power go I have no clue, neither of which affect my scores on HWbot. :D

So if performance is about the same, then one can also look at the 100 to 180 dollar gap in pricing between the two options. But then you can't really upgrade the 460 SLI incrementally...

Well the 580 might actually show up as a dual card itself as the Fermi architecture is "fixed" the 295 was the latest dual card from Nvidia wasn't it

NV was planning a dual-GPU card using 2x GTX 460's or 470's, something like that... but the last we heard of that was months ago. They seem to have waited to finalize the fermi architecture before doing it (most likely due to TDP limitations of the GT400's architecture), so their dual-GPU fermi will be probably 2x cut-down versions of the 580.

Really not seeing how they won't at least attempt to make a dual-GPU version, since the upcoming release of the HD 6970 is also going to have a dual-GPU version (the 6990) in Q1 next year... and just the 6970 itself is looking to be very strong competition for the GTX580.

Does anybody know if there is any chance gpu and mem placement (+ other things) is the same as the gtx480?
I have a dream! not to change waterblocks XD

(stupid question i know . . .)

EDIT:
crap they added some voltage controls -.-
although rest of the layout is identical

mmmmm i foresee, BRICOLAGE!

Last edited:
Back