• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIE 1.0 2.0 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

ok quick question. If you have a PCI Express 1.0 slot is there a limit to the generation of card you can put into it? I.E. No PCIE 2.0 cards.

ok quick question. If you have a PCI Express 1.0 slot is there a limit to the generation of card you can put into it? I.E. No PCIE 2.0 cards.

Nope, completely backward/forward compatible. If it fits it works.

One thing you do want to be aware of this the actual electrical lanes of a given PCIe slot though. Most primary slots are 16x (full lanes), some additional slots (as in for SLI or X-Fire) are 8x (half lanes). 16x or 8x really doesn't make a huge difference until you start benchmarking or running super high end cards...but you want to steer away from 4x and 1x PCIe lanes for graphics cards...they just can't handle the data.

You are like my info guru today. :) Thanks, friend is trying to sell his computer and the guy asked if he could upgrade the card. He was worried that because it was a PCIE 1.0 version that 2.0 cards would not work. I was pretty sure there would be no issues but wanted to confirm.

You are like my info guru today. :) Thanks, friend is trying to sell his computer and the guy asked if he could upgrade the card. He was worried that because it was a PCIE 1.0 version that 2.0 cards would not work. I was pretty sure there would be no issues but wanted to confirm.

Ha ha...I just got stuck behind the screen all day. :p

Back