• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Innovative MMO's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I liked AoC up until level 20 then it felt empty and unfinished. But the first 20 levels were amazing IMO.

The first 40% of any "wow killer" was AMAZING. They could never finish on the follow through though. I want something new and amazing but I have this feeling that SW:TOR isn't it. I just think Bioware bit off more than it can chew.

they ran out of money, they stated that they only had the budget to create the content up to level 20. They were hoping it would take off and then they would have the funds to finish the rest. I think the game had to high of system requirements and that eliminated a lot of consumers.

I want Star Wars TOR to do well, /crossing fingers.
and who knows maybe someone will create the idea I had above :)

Last edited:
Its kinda what new fps multiplayer is headed towards the only thing they are missing in black ops is an open world environment and the quests, if you really think about it :p

World of Call of Duty... Blizzard/Activision... it could... turn the genre on its head.

There is nothing wrong with that. I don't care who the next innovation comes from as long as it comes. If Blizzavision redefines the genre with a new badarse mmo I would totally play. The issue is that they most likely won't, they make money off the current formula and I think it's stifling the genre's creativity. The pressure to be the next WoW is so huge that companies are over-extending themselves. They are trying to build epic WoW style MMo's on a Guild Wars budget.

what helps the WoW formula is the learning curve, its easy and it can run on almost any system, so you have people playing that don't even have a gaming computer. I have met so many people playing WoW on just integrated graphics or the crapy card they threw in their pre built piece of junk (this was even easier pre BC and Wrath) and a gig or two of ram.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with that. I don't care who the next innovation comes from as long as it comes. If Blizzavision redefines the genre with a new badarse mmo I would totally play. The issue is that they most likely won't, they make money off the current formula and I think it's stifling the genre's creativity. The pressure to be the next WoW is so huge that companies are over-extending themselves. They are trying to build epic WoW style MMo's on a Guild Wars budget.

There was no negativity in my comment, it was purely speculation. I believe innovation will come in the MMO market from breaking away from archetype system (ie: tank, heals, dps) with the introduction of a nonlinear system. People, hate being told what to do, which is why teenagers blow up over stupid things. Why not design a system where everyone starts the same and ends up different? Sure it would be "hard" but this is innovation.

Takes this equation into any environment and I believe it would apply and be successful: where everyone starts the same and ends up different.

Everything you guys are listing about a FPS MMO with battlefield/mercenaries elements is pretty much APB; and it failed.
Substitute Law/Outlaws for Government/Rebel faction and you're about done. Same game.
You could expand upon it with more vehicles(helicopters or whatever) but it's the same base game.

Everything you guys are listing about a FPS MMO with battlefield/mercenaries elements is pretty much APB; and it failed.
Substitute Law/Outlaws for Government/Rebel faction and you're about done. Same game.
You could expand upon it with more vehicles(helicopters or whatever) but it's the same base game.

Did the idea fail or was it the back end structure? I'm pretty sure APB failed because of terrible business planning and debt. Blame that on the executive team. That hindered the ability of developers to get paid to fix balancing problems within the game. The concept and idea did not fail, the business model set up to sustain the game failed. Identify the problem instead of generalizing the situation. =/
not really but whatever kinda

lol I read your posts loud and clear and know what you are looking for. Round up like minded mercs and build a faction, don't have the faction be decided by the developers (horde vs. alliance). I like the idea of Team A vs. Team B, who is allied only with Team B because B is against A. But then there is Team D who fights not only A, B, and C, but also D, E, and F. Let players make alliances and systems of laws that can be adopted and broken by other players. After all, the best content is content created by the players and environments maintained by the players. I agree with CCP and the EVE fireside chats with the player base. /ramble

Xterra you don't get what I'm saying. Everyone is listing APB(mostly) as a type of game they want to see, yet nobody is actually listing APB in their long list of MMO's they liked.
I didn't say the idea or the business or the servers or anything failed except the game itself.

Xterra you don't get what I'm saying. Everyone is listing APB(mostly) as a type of game they want to see, yet nobody is actually listing APB in their long list of MMO's they liked.
I didn't say the idea or the business or the servers or anything failed except the game itself.

I played and Liked APB, I even bought it and played it post beta. It was indeed bad business practices that ended that game.

I bought it also. Unfortunately, most of the time when it was fully open I was in training and didn't get to play it. Think I have more hours in the beta than I did in the full game.

After reading your earlier post I see what you meant. Sorry for the attack, fatigue at its worst =/

APB you just drove around defusing killing gang members and breaking doors down. I'm am talking an actual open world environment with actual quests/missions with interactions with NPCs. APB you only talked to NPCs just to start grinding their faction or buy a weapon or gear. I want an actual story APB didn't have that.

Twigg I want to check it out as well

Anyone playing Lego Universe? My wife seems to enjoy it.

Darkfall online almost was a great game, just slow progression & messy UI. I have high hopes for Rift: P.O.T. EvE online is, but the BS control system sucks...

Back