• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Innovative MMO's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I never even heard of APB until it was cancelled. That is why it failed. Or one reason. It looks like an amateur game with amateur publishing.

I never even heard of APB until it was cancelled. That is why it failed. Or one reason. It looks like an amateur game with amateur publishing.

It definitely seemed to get more press when it closed down than it did when it opened up. It sucks though. It really could have developed into a fun game. Radio is mostly right about it lacking some key elements that would have made it better.

Actually APB sounded cool, but there was only PvP areas I think, not the whole game world...

There was a market district where you change your character, buy cars/music/clothes/car designs/etc and then other districts where pvp/missions/etc happen.

what some company needs to do is emulate in 3d some of the really good MUDs out there. There are things in muds still today that the big names like wow etc cannot re-create or couldn't control if they did.

as its been said before... its a balancing act.. of course the final goal for any mmo is the bank account.. stealing 1.5m subs from wow is a drop in the bucket to wow and even so, they know that within a year those 1.5 will come back and they would have already filled the 1.5m gap with 3+m more...

and now the publicity for cata.. wow is going to be bringing in the bucks for quite some time.. its a cash cow with plenty of teets left to suckle..

Your missions etc. were all pvp. Go talk to this snitch and pick up the stolen goods for enforcers.

Stop the cops from talking to the snitch and picking up the stolen goods for bad guys.

Then you fought to see who would win. My issue was I always got pitted against somebody that had an uber weapon and would wipe the floor with me.

There was a company that was doing a new 3d Ultima online, I was excited, then it was canceled I think. Never see anything about it anymore, I think is was called Ultima Worlds

I know it aint an MMO, but bring on diablo3 :D if it has anywhere near the same following Diablo2 had it might as well be an MMO :)

I concur! I'm not sure what qualifies a game as an MMOG. I would think any game that can put more than about 10 people together "reguarly" should be considered an MMOG. While things like CODMW2 are not MMORPG's, they are certainly MMOG's.

Actually it is if you really think about it. You are "Role Playing" a soldier :) in order to grind experience to gain levels, items/gear/weapons. So I ask you this question, what constitutes a RPG??? touché

The problem most people have is not realizing that fps and rpg are not on equal grounds in the hierarchy of gaming. What I mean is, RPG is a genre, where fps is a style.

If I so choose, I can play in FPS in most 3d MMORPGS.

Past that, RPGs offer you quite a bit more freedom on how you play the game. Take any FPS and its you following a story. You have no choices about how you get to the end, its all predetermined.

RPGs usually offer you many more options. You can usually PvP, PvE, RP, or any combination there of.

For instance, World of Warcraft will let you level using quests, dungeons, pvp, or just grinding. You can participate in all, or only one. It's entirely up to you.

The problem most people have is not realizing that fps and rpg are not on equal grounds in the hierarchy of gaming. What I mean is, RPG is a genre, where fps is a style.

If I so choose, I can play in FPS in most 3d MMORPGS.

Past that, RPGs offer you quite a bit more freedom on how you play the game. Take any FPS and its you following a story. You have no choices about how you get to the end, its all predetermined.

RPGs usually offer you many more options. You can usually PvP, PvE, RP, or any combination there of.

For instance, World of Warcraft will let you level using quests, dungeons, pvp, or just grinding. You can participate in all, or only one. It's entirely up to you.

what? FPS (first person shooter) is a genre, consisting of Counter-Strike type games such as Team Fortress, Call of Duty, etc

what? FPS (first person shooter) is a genre, consisting of Counter-Strike type games such as Team Fortress, Call of Duty, etc

his point is fps is just a style of gameplay.

for example Borderlands is an fps and its an rpg, same for Deus Ex.

However if something is an rpg then it cannot be an rts game for example.

most of the time fps games dont overlap with rpgs so we are fine refering to them as that, however that is not to say they can't.

Savage 2 has no predetermined genre, it's a mix of action RPG + FPS + RTS.

Take that game's controls and combat system, put it in an MMO and you immediately have a huge part of the 'innovation' needed to be much different and much better than today's scripted crap. A much higher skillcap and much more freedom to the player. As opposed to what almost every MMO is today; a low skillcap and way too much is controlled heavily by the game mechanics.

Can anyone recommend me a decent mmo that would be good for a husband wife team? I'm sitting here bored out of my mind trying to figure out something for both of us to waste time on. I don't mind monthly fee's but I'm not really after a WoW or EQ level game.

Actually it is if you really think about it. You are "Role Playing" a soldier :) in order to grind experience to gain levels, items/gear/weapons. So I ask you this question, what constitutes a RPG??? touché

I just see the weapon grind and perk reward system a linear basis of player progression. Instead of giving all the weapons up front, they make players unlock them. Better the weapon the longer it takes. Actually pretty intelligent game design and another reason why CODBO has a high retention rate.

Can anyone recommend me a decent mmo that would be good for a husband wife team? I'm sitting here bored out of my mind trying to figure out something for both of us to waste time on. I don't mind monthly fee's but I'm not really after a WoW or EQ level game.

try the free to play version of anarchy online

Back