• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to overclock with throttling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hi all,

I am pretty new to overclocking and had a few question about it. First off, my specs are as follows:

CPU: i7 920 D0
MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe Ver 2
RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
GPU: 480GTX
Cooling: Dedicated Water cooling setup with great cooling.

Now, I've read through a few guides on how the basics to overclocking, including the one on this site, but is there a possibility to overclock the 920 to around 3.6GHz and have it throttle up when needed and down when not needed?

I only ask this because I leave my computer on all day for other housemates to use it but I personally only use it towards the evening. I didn't want it to run at a high overclock if it wasn't needed (assuming that it will take life off the CPU).

Thanks

With CE1 still enabled in the BIOS it should naturally down clock (via multiplier) when not under full load. From what little experience I have with 920s, I think getting around 3.6ghz with a good water cooling setup can be accomplish with little or no voltage increase. It's voltage and heat that kill stuff. You have heat covered...as long as the voltage is'nt insane I'd expect your CPU to outlive it's useful life overclocked to 3.6ghz...even 4ghz. 920s are pretty tough.

There are many more experienced guys around here than me when it comes to Intel stuff so I'll sit back and takes notes as well.

Ok, will CE1 allow me to set a Max CPU frequency? Let's say 4.0GHz and then it will down clock when it isn't being used?

Back