• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys think about this BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bgtrance

Registered
Well, long story short I built myself a pc month and half ago and was very pleased with the performance of it. I learned to overclock it and managed to get to 4.0ghz stable which was my goal. Well 3 nights ago I come back home, surf the web a little and I got a bsod.

Restarted, came back to windows only to bsod again after aboout 5 mins of usage. I thought it was the overclock which prior to this was tested with 11 hours of prime 95/passed intel burn tests and all of that crap. I thought it could be faulty memory so I tested the RAM and that came out clean. Nevertheless I bought 2 more sticks of corsair ddr3 1600 just to make sure and it checked out. As I kept crashing more and more, I suddenly could not get passed the starting windows screen.

Then I tried buying a new HD and testing that out. Did not help the problem. I thought maybe fauly DIM slots and pci-express slots. Dusted all of them and switched the gfx card to the bottom slot just to test them out. I even popped on RAM stick at a time to make sure DIMMs were ok too.

Tested my gpu in another system and that worked fine. Tested the power output of the power supply that checked out as well. So now I narrowed it down to motherboard and CPU....until an hour ago. I decided to reformat clean into a 32-bit windows 7. Mind you previously I could not even format because I would get to say 99% on expanding files and it would crash giving me a bsod with hardware error. I decide before reformatting to disable onboard lan and Gbe controller. Magically I was able to reformat windows and get into the windows itself. I downloaded all of the latest drivers from motherboard manuf. and applied them. I noticed prior to that that there was a (!) mark near ethernet controller. When that piece of **** was disabled in bios, I had no problem with crashes. As soon as I enabled onboard lan/gbe controller, I pop into windows, get the installing new hardware crap and BAM bsod.

What do you guys think? Have I found my culprit? Installing the drivers for the ethernet controller did not help one bit but made it even worse.

I was thinking its the processor but I am pretty sure its the mobo itself. My current specs are in my sig. Thanks to anyone that reads this and actually confirms this. :bang head

EDIT: I also tried installing windows XP 32bit, and kept getting stuck on 35% at installing devices which again confirms this.

Last edited:
The stop error you were getting would be even more important.

You mentioned you thought it was overclock, did you return to stock values?

If so I would think motherboard as well. (that and you replaced everything else it could be LOL)

Back