• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Suggestions on How To Reach 4.4ghz With a i7 875k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If my memory runs at 2300mhz then how would running at 2000mhz or below affect the memory controllers stability? Is it because the CPU is running at a higher speed? I don't understand? Again I'm not using this for 24/7 use, just want the best HWBot scores I can salvage. I'll try running the memory at 1600mhz and 1333mhz and see if that will help. Thanks for all the help and I'll see what I can get. I just don't really want to compromise my components, I want everything running as fast as it can go.

If my memory runs at 2300mhz then how would running at 2000mhz or below affect the memory controllers stability? Is it because the CPU is running at a higher speed? I don't understand? Again I'm not using this for 24/7 use, just want the best HWBot scores I can salvage. I'll try running the memory at 1600mhz and 1333mhz and see if that will help. Thanks for all the help and I'll see what I can get. I just don't really want to compromise my components, I want everything running as fast as it can go.

The memory is not affecting the memory controller. The controller is just to weak to run it at those speeds. Intel only designed it to run at 1066/1333. Its the same as the same Intel chip from person A will not clock as high as the same Intel Chip from person B. Just luck of the draw. Because there are more than one thing that affect stability, sometimes people just stop when it becomes unstable instead of trying out different variables OTHER than the CPU.

I have seen a lot of threads where the computer was running unstable or didn't even recognize the RAM when run at higher speeds. Gskill is littered with these reports on their forum and they all come from the S1156 and S1366 Platforms.

My instability presented itself actually while at idle and very randomly about once to twice a day. My computer would just "blink" off, no errors, no blue screens, no anything. It just went off and restarted. I went through about 10 RMAs of everything but my processor. I replaced RAM twice, I replaced the Motherboard 3 times, I replaced two video cards two times each. I bought a bigger PSU, I changed every cable in my case. I spoke on the phone with Nvidia, Asus (My first Mobo), Gskill, BFG, EVGA and Corsair. Finally I was prepared to RMA my processor, so I called Intel. (I posted the log in the other thread). Where I was specifically told i7s are only designed to run the RAM at 1066/1366 and thats it. And sure enough after slowing my RAM down and loosening the timings the problem resolved itself. I still run my RAM now at 2000MHz, but I also run the Processor a little slower as well.

Its a fine balance and if you want good bench scores, you have to consider every tweak. Sometimes it means running something else slower, so you can push your CPU higher if even just for a CPUz screenshot.

You know.... I had to learn the hard way. Maybe its not your RAM, but it can't hurt to try. Or maybe like me you will want to learn the hard way too. I learned much much more than if someone had just told me to turn my RAM speed down, but I did have the support of all my fellow benchers (Thanks Brolloks, nzanzeb, iBob, Miahallen).

How is it only designed for 1333mhz? Maybe natively but the world record for highest speed memory was on an i7 at 3ghz on the memory. I run 2300mhz stable so how is the memory controller weak. Maybe it gets a little weaker when the clocks starts getting real high but you can't say it only made for 1333mhz. Usually it seems to be the Mobo that holds the memory back. My board supports up to 2300mhz while some EVGA boards got to 2600mhz and some other only go to 2000mhz. You are running your memory at 2000mhz as it is in your sig. What do you mean by how it's weak?

It is only made for 1333 so he can say that. Some can hit those speeds, some cant. But its spec'd out at 1333. You board can handle 2133 it says, that doesnt mean the memory controller on the CPU can. Two different things.

What tests are you running at the bot that you want that fast of speed? Besides, you only need it stable for running the benchmark and thats it. Are you saying you cant get it to run a benchmark at that speed?

wPrime, Super PI, 3dMark etc. When I run at 4.4ghz it crashes on wPrime and on the CPU part of 3dMark Vantage. Basically when I enter Windows it will crash sooner or later. It's not just Prime 95 unstable, it's only CPUZ Validation stable. I will put the memory down if it helps my stability but I notices a good .4 sec diff with 2300mhz memory and 1866mhz at the same CPU speed so thats why I want high memory speed. Another question, when a Mobo has a memory speed rating of 2300mhz or whatever it is and the memory controller is on the CPU then what gives that Mobo a rating for the memory? What makes the EVGA boards 2600mhz?

Your confusing things. In the old DDR2 Boards the Memory Controller was on the board. With i7s its on the CPU. With that out of the way, your motherboard specs your Motherboard to be able to run X, 2300 in your case. Intel on the other hand specs the processor. The Intel spec for i7s currently on the market is 1066/1333. Yes.... they can run faster, some can do 3000MHz on rare occasions, others can regularly do 2000MHz, but there are just as many that get glitchy above 1600 depending on configurations, CPU speed, voltages used and so on.

There are three things to contend with when referencing RAM speed. 1) The processors memory controller rated speed. 2) The RAM motherboard's rated speed. and 3) The RAM's rated speed.

Don't take my word for it, read the spec sheet.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41316

And just because other chips can do a certain speed at a certain voltage doesn't mean yours can. I've seen i5 750's do 4.0 at under 1.3 vcore and mine took 1.44.

Agreed, the god of computers didnt create them all equally, i hit 4.2 on a it 750 no sweat with 1.4vcore.. now I have problems with my i7 920 hitting that.

Back