• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I have a 32 inch Magnavox LCD. It started turning itself off after a short time and also turns itself on if it is left off. I have found a lot of folks with the same problem. I stumbled on a post that stated that they used inferior caps on the power supply and that replacing the bad caps would fix the issue. The poster found this by visually inspecting the caps and said that they were bulging. Mine are not bulging that I can tell but do seem kind of loose inside the cap itself, if moved it does not feel solid like the wires going into the caps might have a bad connection. The caps in question are CapXom 1000uf35v. Anyone have any knowledge of this brand? Would I get the same rating for replacement caps or should they be better higher rated?
Been a long time since I fooled with stuff like this, high school was a really long time ago and I remember almost nothing about this stuff anymore. TIA

I went ahead and got em at radio Shack, same specs because I was not sure if the farads of voltage should be better. Strange thing is that they didn't really look bulged but replacing them fixed the TV set. For 4.50 I can replace them again in a few years if they go bad again.

the capacitors have 3 rating. the capacity measured in uF. the voltage and the temperature rating, usually measured on Celsius. a fourth thing to look for is where it is made. You need to stay at the same capacity, you can increase voltage if you want, but do not go lower. the temperature is how long they will last at a given temp. and the country of origin indicates quality. Basically chinese or taiwanese caps are crap and japanese ones are good.

Thanks, I was not sure which could be changed in the rating. I did find a reference to the CapXom capacitors in a review of the Samsung 204b. They were indeed Chineese and according to the review "Only buy if you know how to solder", the caps will last only a limited time before rupture. I think I may have more to replace, it has started turning itself on again but so far not turning itself off because of heat.

yeah, dell computer got hit with massive problems on it's optiplex line of computers because of failing chinese caps, they went and replaced bad caps with more bad caps. When they refused to acknowledge it they got a class action lawsuit on because of it.

Back