• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is something wrong with my GTX460?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

My PPD dropped with about 10K PPD on this new WU, but I'm not sure if thats normal or my vidcard ist running right due to high overclock. I could play Civ5 for 4 hours without problems, and overall the system is running fine. It's just fah thats not acting as normal.

So is it just this WU that's killing my PPD, or do you think my OC isnt stable?

Faherror.jpg

It's not just you i also have got a big hit in ppd , it's these p6800 they give more credits but takes longer to finish!...
My GTX460 is at 850mhz core it normally give 15k but now it's down to 5k.

I'm getting about 11.5K ppd on them. I also had to bump my voltage to keep the 920 overclock on the core from EUEing.

They also take less of a hit on the SMP folding with multiple cards.

I'm getting 19K ppd on a P2686 with a 3.3Ghz overclock.

DarkWarrior: Ok, well it seams like It's not my oc then.... :)

Torin3: Is that the exact same Wu as the one my highlighted GTX460 is running? Or is it one like my Evga 460 is working on? There seams to be a big difference in these 6800 WU's, unless something is wrong with both DarkWarrior and my GTX460...

Somethings wrong...your getting half what your other gpu is getting on the same wu.

I am getting 11k on that one.

What happens if you pause the gpu that's running well and or pause your smp if your running one.
Or is that 460 a by itself?

Edit: oh never mind I see now that it is a different Wu and I may not have gotten one yet. Or have gotten them when I was away. My bad!(my bad eyes and little phone screen)

Sheesh I was about to replace my old gpu's with 2 more 460's but not if this is the future.

Last edited:
As of monday, I have been getting the 'original' kind of WU's that I am used to, a more normal ppd, hotter GPU, etc. For the last couple weeks I was getting the 10k series that shot my ppd through the roof, and my gpus would run 10-20c lower than normal.

As of monday, I have been getting the 'original' kind of WU's that I am used to, a more normal ppd, hotter GPU, etc. For the last couple weeks I was getting the 10k series that shot my ppd through the roof, and my gpus would run 10-20c lower than normal.

Yeah my aircooled 460 is also running about 10C warmer than normal on these monsters. No temp dif on the watercooled one though :cool:

Sheesh I was about to replace my old gpu's with 2 more 460's but not if this is the future.

Yeah I really hope they change the points for these WU's, otherwise I dont think it's worth running on the 460's anymore, and then I wont be folding anything at all.
Two days ago I was pulling 30K+ PPD of those cards, and now thats been reduced to 10K :bang head

I am still searching my logs for one that had tpf's that slow...No luck so far.

Torin you have that exact WU and you did 11k with good tpf? If that's so, it can't be the Wu's.

I'll keep a sharp eye out for that particular one.

Wega what happens when you get the other 6800's? Are they all that slow.

Torin3: Is that the exact same Wu as the one my highlighted GTX460 is running? Or is it one like my Evga 460 is working on? There seams to be a big difference in these 6800 WU's, unless something is wrong with both DarkWarrior and my GTX460...

Well, I don't have the exact same WU listed in my dropdowns in HFM, so I can't say for sure. But my benchmark viewer says that all my 1298 point P6800 WUs have been running through at about 11-11.5K ppd at 920 core on my 460s. My -bigadv is running at about 19K ppd for a P2686, which is within 500ppd of normal for me at this overclock.

I am still searching my logs for one that had tpf's that slow...No luck so far.

Torin you have that exact WU and you did 11k with good tpf? If that's so, it can't be the Wu's.

I'll keep a sharp eye out for that particular one.

Wega what happens when you get the other 6800's? Are they all that slow.

I didn't see the exact Run, Clone, Gen numbers, I couldn't say for sure, but I will say I didn't see any frames below upper 10Ks.

dfonda: In the pic I posted you can see my other GTX460Evga running a "normal" 6800 WU, doing about 10.5K PPD. So they are slow, but not that slow.

torin3: Yeah I'm also getting around 10.5K PPD on the other 6800WU's, but these just seams to kill my production :(

Well i will gladly give you mine :D I think the last 5 on that card has been that kind.

I also just tried to run that one client alone, to make sure that none of the other clients was interfering, but no change. I also just set my personal record in 3D Mark06 on the card, so it's not because it running slower than usual...

Just thinking here...

I'd double check the client.cfg for that client and see what the priority is set for.

Actually, I'd go ahead and change the -gpu 0 / -gpu 1 in the shortcuts to see if it is the client or the hardware.

Swap them and if the other card slows down, you'll know it is something client/WU related. If the same card is slow, then you'll know it is something video card related.

Reboot your box, both my gts 450s have dropped into 2d mode while folding the 6800s, at lease once. I added a few more mvs to make sure they don't.

Thank spitter3 , that work like at charm, i just needed a restart.
Now i'm at 11,5k again with a r6800 wu, and a tpf of 1.38.

+1 to spitter3

Reboot your box, both my gts 450s have dropped into 2d mode while folding the 6800s, at lease once. I added a few more mvs to make sure they don't.
Great solution Spitt, I have recent updates lately and the restarts may may have kept this from happening.:thup:

Would be the Gpu then and not the WU.

The odds of one gpu getting 5 slow WUs while the other gets 10 fast ones are pretty slim. It is good to know that the 460 doew the same thing the 260 does, drop to 2d in power saving mode or for some reason. I had to force my 260s into 3d mode with Riva Tuner.

And the reboot helped :) But not for long... What do I need to change to keep the vidcard from going into 2D mode? (Didn't even knew they could do that)...

First try opening the nVidia control panel/Manage 3D settings/global settings/power management mode and change it from adaptive to prefer maximum performance. That might do it. If it doesn't, someone else might want to chime in. I'm not sure Riva Tuner works with the 460 and I can't test that until tomorrow. I don't know it MSI afterburner can force 3d mode, and I haven't found it in EVGA precision. If someone knows RT works, I do know how to force 3d and will post it up if applicable.

Well something was wrong with my card after all... Or with my OC that is. :) Earlier I did try to turn down my OC, to make sure that wasnt the problem. I just diddnt reboot after turning down the OC, and then the f@h GPU core was still all messed up, even though I shut it down and started up again. So the problem was still there because i diddnt reboot before starting f@h up again.

Anyway, I upped the voltage on my card it has been running without a glitch @960Mhz for two hours now making about 12.5K PPD on the 6800 WU's. I havent tried to push the the card more yet, I want to be sure that this actually was my problem.
But tomorrow I'll see how far I can push this card, might even edit the bios to get more voltage. Temps are at 38C full load now, so there should be room for some more volt :rock:

Sorry for the trouble all, and thanks for helping me out :)

Back